Ontario Dive Sites - Misc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott...

Hey, I'm a new member to this group. I live in Sudbury and spend my summers in Sault Ste. Marie.

I started diving at the end of last summer. I've only dived in two spots in Sault Ste. Marie ... a sunken plane at Point Aux Pins and at Gros Cap. I plan on diving many more sites near the Sault area.

I'd appreciate any info on dive sites. Especially shore dives!

Also, I'd appreciate any info on dive sites near Sudbury (or Manitoulin Island and Killarney)

Later,
Joe

just thought i would split some more hairs

Innerkip (the mud puddle that it is) the depth posted of 28 feet isn't too far off, but my depth guage regularly read 47 when i used to dive there ( you will have to be stupid enough to do a swim through in the stone crusher to see the same depth ) a cold dark exercise in futillity.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing
Helen Keller

We were at Burleigh Falls again Sunday June 9,2002
Conditions were excellent.
Flow from falls was down, very manageable.
Visibility 25-30 feet.
Lots of fish, bass, Muskie, small pickeral

mr._jmac

Cool - I was wondering where everyone from Sudbury was! We dove the plane and the wreck at Pointe aux Pins this past weekend. Water was a comfy 45 degs, and we had about 10-15' of vis, which is pretty good for being in the shipping channel. I do know of a few other places for shore diving in the area..... a buddy and I are going to Mica Bay this weekend...... some pretty cool rock formations to swim thru, but other than that, its just rocks to look at. A lot of OW certs are done at Gros Cap, but nothing to see but crawfish, so we don't go there very often.

Our local dive club has several events planned in the area this year - a couple in the UP of Michigan- Mackinaw, Copper Harbour, Lime Island..... if your going to be in the Sault, send me a pm and we'll get you out. I take it you know where our LDS is? She can get you in contact with me as well.....

SS

Don't bother with my above message as I was just not reading messages!! I read above and It answers most of my questions on Burleigh Falls!!

I asked this in a different thread but do you guys in Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie know of any charter boats that run out of Blind River in the North Channel?? Or any scuba shops up there??

Also what kind of plane is sunk of Pointe aux Pins??

Gadget - I don't know of any "charters" that run out of B.R. into the North Channel. I have heard of a few backwoods fisherman that will let you jump out thier 14footers, but you may want to look at other options (think of the movie Deliverance!). Actually, I'm not sure there are any charters in the area till you get to Tobey. Fill me in here Gadget, do you know some sites worth going to? I have a friend who has a boat.......

The plane in the river is just a small beechcraft plane - 25-30' long - very easy to get to. Sits in the middle of the shipping channel off Pointe aux Pins in about 43'. Viz is usually in the 10' range, and when the water warms a little, lots of fish hang out there. Pickrel, rock bass, suckers.... The boat wreck I mentioned earlier is only about .5 km up river - you can usually check them both out on the same dive with a little help from the current. Both are best for night dives - lots of fish.

SS

The northwind is up in the North Channel and I have been told it is an amazing wreck. I am trying to dive it. There is a boat that does a live aboard from Toby but that is a 4 or 5 day thing with a full day to travel there and back with three days on the wreck. I am looking for more of a weekend thing. I have some URL's somewhere for sites about the Northwind if you want.

http://www.tobermory.com/shipwrecks/northwin.htm

Back
Top Bottom