Learning Nitrox, with AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I didn't know what Nitrox is about. Now after reading a bit about, it sounds good to use.

Does one has to be Nitrox certified, or in the process of getting Nitrox certification, to use Nitrox?

I am NAUI certified, and looking to get AOW certification. Can I do both at the same time?

Thanks a lot.

in order for a shop to let you use Nitrox, you will have to have a Nitrox card
or be taking the Nitrox class with an instructor

i did both the AOW and the Nitrox certs at the same time, and it was great

What Andy said, to buy a nitrox fill you must have the card or be in the class.

To take the class you really just need to read the book, work through the examples and any questions with an instructor, run the tables, check a fill or two with an analyser and in some cases also do a dive or two to get the card. The course is just a bit of math and some precautions to take in its use. You combine Nitrox with AOW or even use your last dive of basic OW with nitrox i believe with certain agencies. Course might run $120-160 typically depending on whether dives are included or not.

cavegirl:
Hi.

I didn't know what Nitrox is about. Now after reading a bit about, it sounds good to use.

Does one has to be Nitrox certified, or in the process of getting Nitrox certification, to use Nitrox?

I am NAUI certified, and looking to get AOW certification. Can I do both at the same time?

Thanks a lot.
Although PADI has a nitrox experience component as part of the AOW I would suggest getting a full nitrox card and PADI would not be my first choice of agency to get it from.

Cavegirl,
In my humble opinion I think that it would be prudent and wise of you to see if you could incorporate the two.

There's no time like the present . . .

And since you'll already be in the learning mode, go for it!!!

the K

Most shops in this area discount the Nitrox course if you piggyback it with AOW. I got a $100 discount towards the course by taking the two together. The curriculum is defintely suited for it, and you wont beat the savings.

cavegirl:
Hi.

Thanks a lot.

You should talk to your NAUI instructor. He/she is supposed to tell you "yes" and to plan the course around your specific needs and wants, in addition to certain core requirements of the AOW course. Nitrox is definitely an available addition to AOW.

BIGSAGE136:
Most shops in this area discount the Nitrox course if you piggyback it with AOW. I got a $100 discount towards the course by taking the two together. The curriculum is defintely suited for it, and you wont beat the savings.

Yep, I do it as it seems like the right thing to do.

Check to see what is required. I found a combo deal where I did NITROX and AOW as part of a combo package. We had the nitrox classroom session one night, and the AOW classroom session the next. I did NAUI for both, and I wasn't required to do dives with NITROX because there really isn't a skill involved while diving. Only checking it with the O2 sensor at the shop. When I did the dives required for my AOW cert, I only used Nitrox.

Thanks for all the advise.

When I go for the AOW this summer in the warm water, I'll definitely do Nitrox at the same time.

I should also get the material beforehand to read up, before the summer vacation.

wedivebc:
Although PADI has a nitrox experience component as part of the AOW I would suggest getting a full nitrox card and PADI would not be my first choice of agency to get it from.

PADI seems to be the at more dive shops (at least in N. America). Just curious why would PADI not be the choice? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom