Dive Report: Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
Dive Report: The Spiegel Grove

Saturday, May 14th

Captain Slate’s Atlantis Dive Center

Padipro and I decided to head down to Key Largo this past weekend for a nice wreck dive. We have dived the Spiegel Grove several times in the past, and we have also used Capt. Slate’s in the past. We decided to combine the two for a nice advanced recreational dive on the Grove, and lay to rest the notion that this is some kind of ‘killer’ dive. Not to make light of the recent death of a diver on this wreck, but I think in spite of the respect this dive deserves, it is still a nice advanced recreational dive.

The day was beautiful. The temperature was mild, the skies were sunny, and the breeze was light. We left Ft. Lauderdale at 6:30am and headed south for Key Largo. Slate’s is at the north end of the key, and makes for a slightly shorter drive from the north. After a minor navigational error on the way through Miami, we arrived at the dive op right on time at 8:00am.

The dive shop was a buzz with activity upon our arrival. They operate 4 boats, some of which were headed on snorkel trips to Pennekamp State Park, while others were loading for basic recreational reef dives. We paid, and loaded our gear on the boat. There were a total of 12 divers scheduled to make the trip out. The conditions were forecast to be rough with 4 – 5 foot seas, but I had a feeling that it wouldn’t be that bad. The divers consisted of Scott and I, two divers finishing their advanced checkouts, a commercial diver and his cousin, a husband and wife, an instructor and one other diver.

Scott and I were the only two divers with redundant equipment (doubles, dry suits, reels, and such), some of which I consider a necessity on this dive, since the conditions and challenge of the wreck can bite the unprepared. For instance, I find single AL80 a dangerous tank selection for dives below 100 fsw. We got a lot of stares from all aboard, with the exception of the commercial diver who was interested in joining us on our next scheduled tech trip. He is a 12-year veteran of hardhat and habitat deep saturation diving.

The ride out was at low tide, and when we reached approximately the halfway point, the engine developed a bad oil leak. The resulting drop in oil pressure to the working parts of the engine caused a turn back to the dock. After swapping boats, we headed out again. This time, the ride was a bit more spirited, mostly due to the faster boat.

We arrived at the wreck about 35 minutes later, and moored on the ball tied off on the aft of the wreck. The surface produced 2 – 4 foot waves, and wasn’t too bad for the group on board. Due to cooperative surface conditions, we were able to drop in and immediately descend the down line. The Grove sits on its starboard side, and the giant screws were visible on splash. The visibility was incredible, and there was very little current.

Scott and I were both diving 30/30 trimix in double cylinders, and we planned to do some light penetration off the forward section of the cargo deck. Because of the placement of the dive boat, the swim forward at 100 fsw took quite a while (the SG is 505’ long, and the bulkhead we were aiming for is about 1/3 of the way forward of the stern), so upon arrival, we decided not to enter due to out remaining time before mandatory deco. We planned this as a RDP dive; so we retraced our swim back a ways before ascending to observe other external structures on the wreck. My max depth on the dive was 107 fsw, and we spent a lot of time in the 70 to 90 range. There is no need to dive this wreck at the bottom, unless there is something specific you are looking for.

We passed a couple of the other divers on their way back to the up-line, and we spent another few minutes exploring the aft section of the ship. We were the last divers on the line, and made a very slow ascent to 15 feet where we did a three-minute safety stop.

The dive was beautiful and perfect. The conditions couldn’t have been better. I have been to this wreck many times, and I have bagged the dive twice when conditions weren’t prudent for making a safe dive with recreational intentions. Scott and I decided to sit out the second dive, since we running late in the day, and I had a dive to fly time to be cognizant of.

The Spiegel Grove is a wonderful dive, and though it can be challenging and should only be dived by those with experience, it is a must see for anyone diving in the Florida Keys. My appreciation goes to the staff of Captain Slate’s Atlantis Dive Center and the crew of our boat, err, boats this past Saturday.

Thanks for the report! I wish Key Largo was only 1 1/2 hours from me:(. At least its only 4.

I gotta get down there again.

Nice report. I've considered getting myself a set of doubles just for the reason you mentioned. However, if I was diving a lot, I probably wouldn't need the extra air because as I progress through a dive trip, my air usage get's significantly better. Unfortunately, I only get to dive a few times each year. The safety factor in having doubles on a deeper dive is very compelling, but could tempt someone that is narc'd to stay longer than they should. Of course this is where a good buddy comes into play.

DennisW:
The safety factor in having doubles on a deeper dive is very compelling, but could tempt someone that is narc'd to stay longer than they should. Of course this is where a good buddy comes into play.

...and trimix 30/30/40. :eyebrow:

DennisW:
Nice report. I've considered getting myself a set of doubles just for the reason you mentioned. However, if I was diving a lot, I probably wouldn't need the extra air because as I progress through a dive trip, my air usage get's significantly better. Unfortunately, I only get to dive a few times each year. The safety factor in having doubles on a deeper dive is very compelling, but could tempt someone that is narc'd to stay longer than they should. Of course this is where a good buddy comes into play.
Plan your dive and dive your plan!

The doubles act as more of an equipment redundancy safety factor on this dive than extra gas source. I used to dive this dive with a single overpressurized 98cf with an h-valve. this provided plenty of contingency gas for a recreational dive on the grove, but also provided redundant 1st stages. I pretty much exclusively dive doubles now due to the depths and types of dives I do on a weekly basis. I'm thinking about setting up a smaller set of doubles, say double 72's, for this type of dive.

Knowing your SAC is key to good gas planning. Then diving your plan will be good gas management, since you will know your expected gas consumption at depth and for a given work load. Many divers get themselves in trouble on dives below 100 fsw due to poor gas planning.

On most dives, which are decompression dives, we go by the rule of thirds for gas planning. This dive was a RDP dive, so with our doubles, we would run out of BT long before we'd go through our gas. But in the event of problems during a penetration, we'd be able to deal with them due to the redundancy and extra gas.

Plan your dive and dive your plan is what we should all do and I am no exception. However, I have been narc'd enough to know that your mind will play tricks on you and you won't even know it at the time. I've been there. I will not dive a deep dive with a new buddy. I need to dive some with them before I'll do a riskier dive. I want to see how they pay attention to the dive plan and to me as a buddy. I know I'll be there for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom