Cold Water Wetsuit - A Little Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A custom made wetsuit to your measurements with specs. of materials and features is comparable to the high end production suits in terms of cost. It would be the warmest wetsuit you could find.

cagemaker

I dive cold water all the time, temps in the mid 40's, have done it wet, but switched to a dry suit. For me I'd pony up the extra $$ and make the investment in a dry suit, if you continue to dive cold water you'll end up buying one down the road.

DiveFreedom22:
Thanks for all your replies, it's helping me to get a grasp on what really works. Has anyone actually used the XCEL polar quad, or polar scs 976?
I have the quad cuz it is all black and ninja like :wink: . No... really I like extra panels on the seat and such...also was cheaper than the tri. A friend of mine dives the tri in cold water and likes it. I like the glideskin in the try. I use a henderson goldcore 2 piece 7mm colder than I do the quad for that reason. Both xcels seal well. almost too well. Word of caution when you dive it. Pour some water down the front before you dive or you can end up with a nasty crotch squeeze. Or fill it yourself :icorolley
Oh and my girlfriend has an older model xcel semi...she it petite and stays warm as well.
FYI I have been known to dive wet in water as cold as the high 30's. So keep that in mind. But the suits are as good as you can get for the money.

MSilvia:
MORE weight? When I switched from diving a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit to diving dry, I took about 20 lbs off my belt. You must keep a lot of air in your suit.

I'm guessing a neoprene drysuit.

DiveFreedom22:
This is my first post here, but I had trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for. Many of ya'll are much more experienced than I am, so I vlaue your input.

I will be moving to Illinois in the fall, and I understand the diving can get down to 40 degrees in some places. I want to select a comfortble exposure suit for that diving. I was considering the Pinnacle Polar - but my LDS said that their sizing charts can become difficult. I also really like the XCEL 9.7.6 SCS Polar and the 8.7.6.5 Quad Density. Anybody use the Mares Isotherm either?

As a suit for warmer temps (60-75) I was considering Scubapro's 5mm suit.

It is very difficult to find reviews on any of these suits, if anybody knows these suits or has a better suggestion I am all ears. Thanks so much!

have you thought about a dry suit? I have a dui cf200, and I have been diving in 43deg. water with it.
I dive the St lawrence River from about April till December, and I would never dive a wetsuit of any kind below 58 degrees. For the "warmer" temperatures (60-75) I wear a gold core henderson 7mm with 5mm sleeves. You will find that in the northern US, youll want a 7 mm all summer.

the Gold core is a tough wetsuit. doesnt snag on wrecks, which is what I dive most of the time. it is more difficult to don and doff than the Henderson Hyperstreach, but it doesnt "fuz up" when it touches velcro like a hyperstreach either. it also is a bit warmer since the neoprene is heavier, and doesnt compress as much at depth. just be sure you try it on before you buy it. you will need a good fit with a gold core.

Hope this helps...
r

I have a Scubapro Thermal Tec. It's not sold as a "semi dry" buy my chest and legs don't get wet even after 2 dives.

This weekend my buddy had the new version of this suit. It has a wavy spiral-like pattern in the elbow reinforcement - this indicates the new version. They have seriously improved the wrist and neck seals, and made the fit better for taller people. I didn't wear it but it was still pretty impressive, since even the "old" version I have is very nice.

I was on the same quest for awhile, looking for a Semi-dry. You might consider the Pinnacle Aquatics Semi Dry "Polar" 5-7-5 or the "Extreme" 6-8-6. The Merino wool lining really works well in fridgid conditions.
The Mares Isotherm is also another highly rated suit - many owners who have Mares and Pinnacles say the best you can get if your not going to dive dry in low 40's.

I was originally looking at the Henderson gold core 5-7-5, I hear they are great for a while, its easy to get in and out of comfortable and very warm - but several stories on frayed stichings complaints from many owners that they don't last.

Paul over at PG dive was very helpful & has very good pricing, will work with you online too - I'll give him the plug to return the favor because he really helped me out. http://www.pgdive.com

Good luck - I know first hand how frustrating it is!
JC

Sea View:
I was on the same quest for awhile, looking for a Semi-dry. You might consider the Pinnacle Aquatics Semi Dry "Polar" 5-7-5 or the "Extreme" 6-8-6. The Merino wool lining really works well in fridgid conditions.
The Mares Isotherm is also another highly rated suit - many owners who have Mares and Pinnacles say the best you can get if your not going to dive dry in low 40's.

I was originally looking at the Henderson gold core 5-7-5, I hear they are great for a while, its easy to get in and out of comfortable and very warm - but several stories on frayed stichings complaints from many owners that they don't last.

Paul over at PG dive was very helpful & has very good pricing, will work with you online too - I'll give him the plug to return the favor because he really helped me out. http://www.pgdive.com

Good luck - I know first hand how frustrating it is!
JC

Decided to retire by old 4 yr old O'Neill 7mm jumpsuit this season and researched what suit I might want to try. I made the choice upfront that I do not enjoy dry suit diving, so was looking at semi-dry's. Guys at PG Dive really do believe in the Pinnacle suits and let me try out the Polar. I was surprised that one fit, and took it out on a spin in the beginning of April, when water temps were 39 at depth.

The suit works great, and I'd comfortably wear it at anything down to the low 40s (I have almost no body fat and consider myself averse to cold water). I am guessing that all semi-dry suits with integrated hoods will do a better job than separate suits/hoods/ The Polar kept me warm -- still looking for the right gloves and booties, though!

The suit is well constructed and reinforced at multiple seam points, but I managed to get a small tear in the neck (not at the seam) after only 2 dives. Not sure how that happened, as it was from the inside. PG Dive ordered a new suit and swapped it for me as soon as they found out. They are very good with customer support.

Feel free to ask me if you have more questions about the suit...

Individual characteristics make a huge difference. Last weekend I did 2 tanks both days, Cape Vincent and A Bay. Water temp at both sites was 58F. A 5mm wet, with hood and 5mm gloves, was entirely comfortable, given a nice day on the surface. Saturday was a full 2 hours wet, felt great.
For me, a self-contained space heater, looks like a 5mm with 5mm core warmer will be fine for about high 40s to mid 50s. Definitely a drysuit is nice if it's any colder, or junky on the surface. A drysuit gets you a few months of Spring plus late in the year.
I'm actually looking to switch to a skin plus core warmer, though the zebras will play havoc with the skin, for A Bay or Cape Vincent -- water's warmed up nicely.

I use the Mares semi dry and love it. I have had it down to 45 degrees, 50', for 40 minutes and was just fine even on the second dive. Just watch the size you buy. I had troubles and I think I am going to send it off to have it altered.

I am not sure what divemaster is talking about since I just bought mine last year and it is a dry suit zipper across the shoulders. Even the Mares web site shows the zipper across the shoulders.

My son has a Mares Isotherm and loves it. However, in April and May when I ask him if he wants to go diving, He says it's to cold!!!

I have 2 wetsuit dives in Lake Erie. Since then all of my dives north of Florida and the Bahamas have been Dry!!

Dry is the way to go!! You can still enjoy wetsuit dives in shallower water later in the summer if you really like being wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom