Almost left at a Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt. How about a Red-tide dive this weekend ?

rab:
. . .Has anyone been on a boat that used the system? I didn't find a listing of operators that employ the system on the DAN site, but perhaps we could start a thread on ScubaBoard to spread the word about dive ops that have it. (apologies if there is one that I should have searched for first)

-Rob

The boat I dove from in Key Largo in Jan. used the DAN system. I'll have to check my log to get the name of the dive op.

It is a fair question why this boat didn't use the DAN system instead of memory regardless of its luck to date.

Think of it this way: Would you rather fly with a pilot who follows a preflight checklist or one operates from memory?

As to the captain here, will the memory system be used on the 36 slot boat advertised, or will they move to the DAN sytem?

DAN provides a relatively fool proof checklist. Why aren't insurers driving dive ops in that direction?

I am with FlIrishman. I have had great experiences with Conch Republic Divers. Gary and Brenda run a great dive boat in Tavernier. They have become my choice of dive boats to run with in the Upper Keys. I highly recommend them. They treat you like family and have a roll call at the end of the dives. They work with you to give you the dive experience that you are looking for in the Upper Keys.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

Dr. B. Shane Robinson
(aka Xenoendorphine)

FlIrishman:
Although there is always the chance that he was moving the boat to pick up a diver that had drifted away??

But aside that - this and other stories and events that I've seen is why I pick out certian dive boats to use and those that I would NEVER use. I've used Conch Republic in Tavernier for many years and there the ONLY operation that I'd use in Key Largo or Tavernier! Ya see one problem with one dive operation and I cut them off immediately!

Dive Safe

While diving in the California Channel Islands, my buddy and I came up to see our huge 80' dive boat roaring away. It immediately began backing up when they saw us, and they told us that they needed to get the anchor up and move because the swells had picked up. I accepted this and didn't make a big deal about it.

We were within the time when the DM said he wanted everyone back on board, but were the last divers in the water on the last dive of the day.

When dive these boats now (and, yes, I still dive with this operation), I can't imagine them pulling anchors with divers still in the water. I believe, too, that they have an underwater recall system.

Do you think the DM forgot to count or miscounted, or do you think his story about needing to pull the anchors and move was legit?

This happened about a year and a half ago; and had they left us, we were right near the shore of Anacapa Island on a weekend. There were lots of other boats around, and I'm sure we would have gone to shore or simply flagged one of the other boats and had them radio our dive boat.

I'm not mentioning the company because it happened so long ago, I think they're a fine operation, and I'm not sure they really did anything wrong.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom