Women of the world, support today's Indy race!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the bottom line, to me, is that Patrick didn't break any rules

she played by the rules, and came in 4th

now, if the rules need changing, that's a different issue

This one is pretty good:

"Gordon needs a pit stop. His brain is blocked by too many restrictor plates. By his logic, scores of jockeys should have climbed into Indy cars years ago. Gordon wants it both ways. He says she excelled because she enjoyed an edge, yet denied her slight frame canceled that edge. And he refused to recognize the fact an undersized athlete (read: a woman) had the physical and emotional wherewithal to last 500 miles and nearly win."

http://www.modbee.com/columnists/agostini/story/10603905p-11392120c.html

It seems I'm not the only one having fun w/ this

"Driver Ebn Mxyzptlk, who exited the race on the 16th lap with a blown frammis, said that the other drivers felt no resentment toward the extraordinary attention given to Danica Patrick. "We all benefit from the attention she brings to the sport. In the past, I think sports fans' typical reaction to Indy drivers had been, 'Who are all those guys with unpronounceable names and funny accents?' From now on, though, I expect those same people will say, 'Who are all those guys with unpronounceable names and funny accents standing there with Danica Patrick?"

http://www.brokennewz.com/displaystory.asp_Q_storyid_E_1258danicapat

Well, it seems that NASCAR is next. Who knows?

Crocker, Fisher could be NASCAR's Danica; weight doesn't win races
It's very sad that the success she had on Sunday is being overshadowed by comments about her weight. She did a phenomenal job, and she's only 23 years old. It's not like she's had a ton of IRL starts, and for her to overcome stalling in the pits, wrecking on the track and replacing the nose to finish fourth and come close to winning that thing, that's phenomenal. Let's leave any negative talk out of it.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/3654284

Since the Indianapolis race I’ve been asked why Patrick was able to achieve a higher level of success at Indianapolis than those of her gender who came before her. And I've also been asked when NASCAR will see a woman become a legitimate threat to win Nextel Cup races.

The answer to both questions is basically the same: When talent and opportunity meet in the same place at the same time.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8074222/

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=126872

bebo:
Since the Indianapolis race I’ve been asked why Patrick was able to achieve a higher level of success at Indianapolis than those of her gender who came before her.

If we put Uncle Pug into a Rahal car he could possibly win. Bobby Rahal may be the American version of Frank Williams, minus the wheelchair.

Both Lyn St. James and Janet Guthrie had to fight for sponsor money and they did not have top notch cars. Both of those ladies raced when it was technically more difficult and more dangerous.

This guy was even harsher. Sorry for those pro-Gordon experts out there.

"Gordon, a former open-wheel racer now competing in NASCAR, claimed Patrick has an unfair advantage over other drivers simply because she weighs a mere 100 pounds, about half his weight...

..Gordon would have been OK had he’d stopped right there. What he said made sense...

...Gordon, though, couldn’t leave it alone with just giving a free engineering and physics lessons to us casual race watchers who never realized weight mattered so much...

...He went on to say the situation is so unfair “I won’t race against her until the IRL does something to take that advantage away.”...

...Maybe he should quit worrying if Danica Patrick weighs more or less than the average Olympic gymnast and figure out why he’s having so much trouble in the NASCAR Nextel Cup series this season – nine starts (none higher than 25th), only three finishes in the top 30 (20th, 27th, 29th), and an average finish of 32nd...

...After Patrick’s fourth-place finish in the Indy 500, Gordon did try to clarify his position a little bit...

...But his foot was already in his mouth...

...If it’s such an unfair advantage to be lighter than Robby Gordon, why weren’t we hearing from him in past years when 120-pound Sarah Fisher was racing at Indianapolis?...

...It would seem from what he’s saying that everyone in the Indy 500 field – 32 males and one female – would have had an edge over him. If only he’d been there to prove his point instead of bringing up the rear in another stock car event.

Instead, he picked on the girl.

Maybe it wasn’t Danica Patrick’s weight – or lack of it – that made her go so fast. Maybe, unlike her female predecessors at the Speedway (and a whole lot of slow male drivers), she just had a good ride, she had the skill to make her equipment work, she had top-notch guidance from Bobby Rahal, and she had the good fortune to overcome her own mistakes to make a run at Victory Lane before falling short...

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/11834822.htm

Well, it seems that Mr. Gordon has to get on a diet to see if can improve his latest results, not to mention to compete with Danica :wink:

Extracts from “10 Questions for Danica Patrick” (Time Magazine, June 13, 2005).

Time Magazine: “Has it been hard to break into racing’s boys’ club?”

Danica Patrick: “I’ve always been respected, within reason, because of everything I’ve done. The real defining moment for me was after a practice during the first week at Indy when I was faster than everybody. [Tony] Kanaan and [Dario] Franchitti drove by in a golf cart and told me, ‘good job.’ You can tell that they were sincere. They respected me completely as a driver, and they know that I’m somebody they need to beat.”

Time Magazine: “Driver Robby Gordon has said he wouldn’t race against you because you’re so much lighter than the other drivers, giving you an unfair advantage. What’s your reaction?”

Danica Patrick: “I don’t really have a reaction. It’s just something else to cause a stir in the media. You know, Buddy Rice won with the heaviest car last year at Indy. So I’m not sure it really matters that much.”

bebo:
I personally would like to see Danica win in today's race, or at least to be in a respectable position.Especially after hearing whiners like the Bobby Gordon complaining about Danica's weight (come on!!! is the sex tha bothers and frightens you)

I am not the greatest women's advocate or anything like that, but regarding sports, and everything being equal (we're not talking about boxing or grecoroman wrestling), I think that they have the same rights and should be treated as equals, because sex aside, they are.

If Bobby Gordon thinks Danica's weight is unfair, he should do what he's announcing he will, not to race... but pleeeeease stop the beakering!!!. The rules are the rules, and the rules of Indy racing do not contemplate the weight of the pilot... period. There's a ton of male Indy pilots that are quite close to that weight, or at least they're in the range of the 120's or 130's, and I have never heard any complaints about it, not from him anyways. But noooooo, now he has in front of him a WOMAN, and he's petrified, he is so afraid to be beaten by a girl, that he has to go and vomit all his fear in the press. BS!!! What's next? Will he propose to add weight to all the cars to compensate for the difference in weight among the pilots?... or will he propose to do so only to cars that are driven by women?

Gordon, stick to your NASCAR racing and see if you can do better than your 25th position for the race!

Ladies my 100% support goes to you, GO DANICA!!!!! :auto: :redcap:

If you're gonna rant, try to have the basic facts; It's Robby, not Bobby, and she had an average 4 mph speed advantage in equal cars due to their weight differance. No matter how you slice it, an unlevel field is an unlevel field. The buzz is that the weight issue may be addressed next season.

PhotoTJ:
It's Robby, not Bobby, and she had an average 4 mph speed advantage in equal cars due to their weight differance.

difference?

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom