Uneducated fool.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be interesting to know of all the shark attacks, how many were a result of aggressive humans? I guess we know now even a 2 foot nurse shark has it's limits.

The orginal post I made was copied and pasted. It was a direct quote from a webpage.

He may have been snorkelling at the time but he was a qualified diver!

This kind of thing that you hear about makes you wonder just how many attacks are purely unprevoked!

To bad the shark wasn't much bigger.. say 8-10 feet. The kid might have thought twice about grabbing something that big. And if he did he might have made it in to the Darwin awards.

Maybe the kid had watched too much of Extreme Contact. After all, Manny, Mark and Megan jump out of boats on sharks! I'll bet he's aware now that Nurse Sharks are territorial and can be very agressive if bothered....
:tree:Bob

...but isn't this kind of weird? why wouldn't the shark let go? especially since it was pulled out of the water and would not be able to breathe.

excuse me for being the cynic here but how true/accurate are these stories? could it be that the reporter got the facts wrong? perhaps he could have been trying to stroke the shark's tail instead of pulling it. many divers do touch the marine animals that they see even though they have been given the Enterprise directive of being neutral observers. as result, it has become quite common for people to think that it is acceptable to go round stroking pufferfish, getting the occasional ride from a turtle, etc.

after all, if it is not even clear whether the boy was diving or snorkelling, who knows what else might have been misreported.

tomcat

I actually saw this video and I think it was on the show Real Live Videos or something like that. The shark was a small one and the video showed it hanging from the kids chest. I thought it was funny, except the shark was going to die. "If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough."

This brings another point to mind.
What are we doing when we berley (chum) for sharks?
When Rodney Fox does his whole cage diving thing and throws a couple of buckets of dead fish over the side of the boat, then goes under in a cage, what do the sharkies think?? Are we teaching them that diver=food ??
The next time they see a diver are they going to think, hmmmmmm, yummy, last time I saw a diver there was food ???

I mean, does anyone really know how smart these animals are ???

Mick

PS. Please, no more comments about the "Crocodile Hunter" that man is a complete TOOL !!!!!

Tomcat, nurse sharks have been likened to a pit bull.
Once they clamp onto something they really hold on.
They have very powerfull jaws as they feed mostly on crusteceans. At Mote Marine we where told that their jaws will "lock" onto something and you actually have to cut them lose. Oh well. I bet he learned a very valuable lesson.
Dont fool with Mother Natures creatures.

Back
Top Bottom