NAUI Scuba class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, new to the board, but have been watching and trying to learn for a couple of weeks now. Taking NAUI scuba classes, and just did our first pool class last night. I was physically not ready for the swim (220 meters I think). Well got to work this morning and was discussing it with some co-workers that are certified and they looked at me like I was crazy when I told them we had to swim that far without stopping. My question is how many people had to swim that far and is there that much differences in dive class for beginners? I know why we swam, but just wondering what the differences are. Thanks-Mustang

Welcome :hi: Congrats it just gets more fun. I took SSI and we had to swim about 220m and then tread water for 10 minutes. Unfortunately I was the last one to swim the laps and then we went straight into the tread. I was just a little tired.

Originally posted by Jeblis
Welcome :hi: Congrats it just gets more fun. I took SSI and we had to swim about 220m and then tread water for 10 minutes. Unfortunately I was the last one to swim the laps and then we went straight into the tread. I was just a little tired.

Actually, the worst swimming test so far seems to be the MIT Scuba club. They have to do all this + 25ft underwater without fins :)

Mustang,
There may very well be variations in the quals for different courses (if you want to bore yourself silly with raging debates on the topic, check out some other threads on the board, ie: Should non-swimmers be divers)

When I took my Master Diver course, we heard a lecture by the legendary kinesiologist & diver, Glen Egstrom. Glen asserts that diving is unique in its fitness development, that only by doing & mastering & repeating diving skills can you get fit to dive. The instructor training program that he helped develop includes swimming "circuits" with a variety of timed skills built into the laps. NOBODY can do it cold; you must work up to it! But every candidate in the program DID get the challenges met by the end of the class! (IMHO)That's SCUBA training at its best - a series of skills that your mind & muscles absorb over time.

If your class does not include fitness training (kicking laps with weights on), perhaps you could do some lap kicking on your own (no weights unsupervised until u r certified.) You will be well-prepared to kick out to good dive sites 150yards from shore & look spiffier in your wetsuit! Let your co-workers huff & puff in your wake.

I know it's a little tough but it is soooo worth it.

We see students all the time who have a hard time with that first swim but by the end of the course they are well trained and confident.

We reccomend to all our students that they go swiming at least once a week during the course to build endurance and to just get used to being in the water. ( we are land animals after all)

Most of what you will do in the pool is designed to stress you out a bit, while giving you the skills and ability to solve problems while in or more importantly under the water.

Embrace what you are learning and don't be afraid, as the more challenging the skills in the pool the easier time you will have on your open water and ultimately the better diver you will be.

Congratulations and keep at it !!

Thanks for all the information. Got class again tonight. Starting to get into the groove and looking forward to class instead of getting all nervous and stuff. Thanks again-Mustang

Dare I say it?

There are differences between agencies.

NAUI recently changed their swimming requirements. They now officially have one of the easiest swimming standards in the industry. They do, however, allow their instructors leeway in requiring more than the minimum. NAUI now requires 15 stroke cycles of swimming. The NAUI instructors I've talked with still require the old standard of 225 yds.

Most agencies require a 200 yd swim, while one gives an option of a 200 yd swim or a 300 yd snorkel. At least one agency has a 300 yd required swim to complete the class.

well the hard swim is over now welcome to the board.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom