Whats the low-down on semi-dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. We do giant strides from 10' off the water here in the Channel Islands, and the stride never seems to get any of the air out. Perhaps my seals are just a lot tighter than yours are or something. It would be hard for the entry itself to push air past the neck seal and the hood anyways.

It works for me. The first time I wore a hood it freaked me out because of the air rushing past my ears.

Another good trick is to dump a cup or mask full of water down the front of it before the dive. Also helps with the dreaded crotch squeeze. They are not really intended to keep you "dry" but rather limit the exchange of water inside and the water outside the suit, to the absolue minimum. Oh and someone mentioned that you don't want to or should not pee in it. I subscribe to the school of thought that if you are not peeing within 15 or 20 min you are not properly hydrated. another reason I prefer to dive wet. No pun intended. But no messing with pee valves or diapers either.

rmead:
Another good trick is to dump a cup or mask full of water down the front of it before the dive. Also helps with the dreaded crotch squeeze.

That is another reason why I am having mine altered. The gusset in the crotch is going away.

FWIW: I like the mares isotherm. The insulating material lining the inside is VERY comfortable and WARM. It's very easy to overheat before I get in the water. After a dive in 48deg water, I'm plenty warm and mostly dry. To burp, I get vertical with my neck out of the water, and break the seal - done.

Make sure your buddy zips it up all the way before you jump in!

I'm mostly satisfied with my Mares Isotherm, and it IS quite warm... but I do have two things to say:

-- The ankles & wrists have little springy fabric rings sewn into the cuffs. Some of the stitching on these rings is coming undone on my suit. Not a super-big deal, but for $375, expected a bit better than this.
-- The hood has no upper vent hole, which, on my first dive, caused a huge bubble on mine I could never get out. I solved this by poking a small (SMALL! We're talking 1/4") hole in the very top of the hood with my dive knife.

When you get in ... burp at the surface (the suit, not you :wink: ), and as you descend, get vertical, lean a bit from side to side, and vigorously shake your arms while pointing them at the surface. This will jiggle a lot of the remaining air out. This worked for me, YMMV.

Regards,
--'Goose

DNK:
What exactly is a semi-dry suit and what makes it different then a wet or dry suit?

IMHO .... GIMMICK.

No such thing as semi-pregnant.... same deal here. You're either wet or your dry.

If the water you dive is cold enough for you to even consider going to a semi-dry, then I recommend you go big and get a trilaminate / shell style drysuit. That way, you can wear it in warmer water, and have the option of adding thermals underneath to keep you warm in colder water. Very versatile. Not to mention that it will keep you DRY. :crafty:

Delhi Diver:
Wonder what other divers make of you when you try that! :D

Well, I didn't have the hood *ON* when I did it :11:

Canadian_Diver:
IMHO .... GIMMICK.

No such thing as semi-pregnant.... same deal here. You're either wet or your dry.

If the water you dive is cold enough for you to even consider going to a semi-dry, then I recommend you go big and get a trilaminate / shell style drysuit. That way, you can wear it in warmer water, and have the option of adding thermals underneath to keep you warm in colder water. Very versatile. Not to mention that it will keep you DRY. :crafty:

Some of us don't have the cash!! But thanks for your reply. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom