DAN O2 Provider in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I appear to be near the end of getting my Dan O2 provider instructor certification...

When I was first certified to teach O2 in Thailand, I was puzzled to find that this cert is not valid in Japan. Turns out that O2 is considered a medical substance in Japan, and the general law is that only physicians can buy and dispense O2.

As it was explained to me, in the early 90s a deal was brokered between PADI and the Japanese government that allowed the formation of DAN as a government controlled agency. This allowed DAn the special exception to train O2 providers and DAN instructors to buy and use O2 as well. What is required is a special upgrade course that explains the special considerations in Japan for O2 use (which seem to be largely administrative).

so....long story still kinda long, I did my upgrade last night, and will soon be one of the only foreingers (on mainland) to be able to teach the DAN O2 provider in Japan. What a relief to have that our of the way....And only 6 months after I finished my initial cert in Thailand...

I have been a DAN Instructor for the past 2 years.

Unfortunately DAN Japan does not offer Advanced O2, AED, or First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life.

Welcome to the club!

Cheers,

jagfish:
I appear to be near the end of getting my Dan O2 provider instructor certification...

When I was first certified to teach O2 in Thailand, I was puzzled to find that this cert is not valid in Japan. Turns out that O2 is considered a medical substance in Japan, and the general law is that only physicians can buy and dispense O2.

But I've heard of people getting O2 fills for deco bottles in Japan? Does this mean you require an O2 provider cert to get O2 fills?

m

Mortlock:
But I've heard of people getting O2 fills for deco bottles in Japan? Does this mean you require an O2 provider cert to get O2 fills?

m
O2 Provider is not for O2 fills - for that it is a lot more complicated...

Jonathan:
O2 Provider is not for O2 fills - for that it is a lot more complicated...

So how do you get O2 fills in Japan?

Kim:
So how do you get O2 fills in Japan?
I normally get mine through my instructor or friendly dive shop owner :eyebrow:

I am sure you know that the gas laws here are very different from elsewhere - not to mention the price...

I don't think that anyone (dive shops) in the Fukuoka area has O2. My wife can get it though as she is a veterinarian. Quite how I could then get it into a tank - or get a tank O2 cleaned in the first place - is my problem!

Well I know one instructor up here gets it through his nurse contacts...

Getting it in the tank is not a problem but the O2 cleaning might be.

Back
Top Bottom