wetsuits, and bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherinere

Contributor
Reaction score
We are beginners who know that we will only dive in warm water, we spend all our vacation time on the islands of the Carribean and Virgin Islands. We are looking for info on wet suits, best brands and thickness needed. Also we are looking into BC's and regulators. Any and all info anyone can give us would be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance. cher

First, welcome to the board. I am sure you are going to get a wide range of opinions on your question but here is my try at it. Until you have dove for a while and gotten a real feel for the exact type and conditions that you will be diving it's hard to determine what equipment you really need or want for that matter. Even wetsuit types and thicknes can vary greatly from person to person, I routinely see people diving 5mm full suits and I am in a skin or people diving in a wetsuit in water that is too cold for me to even consider. So, my suggestion, except for mask/fins/snorkle and dive skin, is to rent the equipment that you need for a while, determine what you like and what you don't. Then, as you figure out what styles and brands you like, you can make an informed purchase. Good quality dive equipment will last for many years if serviced properly so why purchase until you really know what you want/need? I would wager that most of the more experienced divers here who have gotten new equipment got it because they "wanted" it rather than "needed" it. Do a search on this board, this topic has come up several times and a lot of good info is here, as well as some insite from other new divers who were in the same dive boat. Again, welcome to the board.

Welcome to the Boards! I hope your diving experiece thus far is a great one.....Herman is right. Many people do have their opinions and for warm water diving I would get a full 1.5-3mm dive skin or maybe just a 3mm shorty, something to protect you from coral and rocks. The SubaPro R190 in your other post is a good all around regulator and with the adjustable second stage its an added bonus. Go to your local dealer and see what they offer and try renting the equipment before you buy, some shops have a pool out back that they train in that they sometime let customers try the equipment out. Get a feel for the equipment and then make your purchase. Alot of new divers get into the sport and buy equipment right away....only to let it sit in the closet after using it a couple of times. So it is a good idea to rent for the first few times and consider the cost of new equipment vs renting and factor in how many times your gonna go diving. Good luck and Welcome!!

Aaron

I suggest for wetsuits thet you consider custom made. My girlfriend couldnt find a suit to fit her properly off the rack and I could fit into a size 4 but the legs were just a bit too short. I found a guy near where I live who makes them to fit. I got a 7mm Semi Dry, seals in the wrists, ankles and neck, spine pad, one piece for $200 less then any I have seen in a dive shop. This also included a seperate hood with a face seal and a one-way valve in the top to allow for air to escape but not let water in.
You can usually pick your colours and features to suit yourself or your style of diving.

Well worth it !!!

Mick

I, too, have seen a wide range of suits on any single dive due to peoples' varying tolerances to cold. We own several suits and take the one(s) that will suit the diving we are doing on any given trip.

Rent-to-try sounds like a good idea--especially to see what you like in terms of thickness. However, you may not get experience top of the line materials. For example, Henderson Gold suits, due to their cost, may not be for rent. However, if you like 3mm for general diving, you can get a Henderson Gold in 3mm after you ascertain that. We like the Gold because the inner material makes getting into the suit easier--especially when it is wet. There are other materials, like "Titanium" that we have heard are similar, but we have not tried them.

Custom is expensive, but for some is the best way to go. For example, Barbara had to have longer sleeves and legs than she could buy off the rack. I can usually fit off the rack things, but sometimes the arms on wet suits are too short for me. One of the nice options on a custom suit is zippers for the arms and legs--really lets you get into the suit easily and makes for a snug fit. Most mfgs will make a custom suit--ordered thru your dive shop--BUT THE COST IS USUALLY HIGH. That said, if you pick the right options, you will use it with joy for a lot of years.

FIT--remember that you want it snug so there is minimum water movement though the suit. This can sometimes be very uncomfortable when trying on suits for the first time. On the other hand, do not strangle yourself!

If you planning a lot of Carib diving, want more than a skin (which really only provides protection against jelly fish, etc. and not much warmth), try a fleece like O'Niell's. They are easy to get into--even on a humid day--provide some warmth, and are very comfortable.

Joewr

I am also a fairly new diver and have recently been contemplating what suit to buy. I've had a 3mm shorty since I got certified in South Florida and recently been diving in a 5mm farmer jane with a 3mm jacket, also in Florida but slightly further north.

I've realised that all of the people who recommend trying lots of different stuff out before buying something have a very valid point. For the Bahamas and Carib a 3mm shorty would probably be good and custom is an excellent idea as you want something that will last.

It's also a good idea to think about versatility. You may find that you want to dive in unexpected places and conditions and you want a suit that can adapt or be adapted with extra kit.

I'm not very familiar with good brands or things that you should look for in a suit, which is why I haven't chosen one yet, but I am finding through trying different combos and experiencing different conditions I am forming a more accurate idea of what I am looking for. A bit of trial and error I guess.

Best of luck in your search and enjoy the diving !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom