Cove 2 Divers Being Stupid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gis_gal:
With this being Seattle, I am willing to bet that we all paid for the stuff.
Someone please tell me was this my tax dollars at work????
Or do I need to thank some hard working dive club?

Yes and no ... the City of Seattle Parks and Recreation Dept. paid for some of it. Other materials were donated by either dive clubs or individual divers. Labor was all donated by divers.

Yes, you do need to thank some hard-working dive clubs ... without their involvement, the City would've simply closed this cove to diving in 2001. The Marker Buoys and Seahorses dive clubs have been very active in this project from the beginning. Past and current dive club presidents Randy Williams (former Marker Buoys president), Jack Connick (former Marker Buoys president) and JD Rowe (current Seahorses president) have been at the forefront of this effort, and have donated mega hours to placing, improving, and maintaining the boundary rope. Other divers and dive clubs have donated to the effort to a lesser degree ... but without the efforts of these three individuals and their respective dive clubs, none of us would be diving at Cove 2 today, much less enjoying amenities such as fresh-water showers, benches in the restrooms for changing, and stairs that make it easier to access the dive site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

restrooms?! where are the restrooms? i didnt see any in the building that's attached to the ferry dock

I'd also like to say thanks to all that were involved in this. appreciate it :)

South end of the building (the side facing the street) just to the west of the parking lot (only building there actually). It's not actually ON the ferry dock.

Sure it is, its under the docks in the water and only if you have a wetsuit. But last I heard it was a no diving area. =P

heh, today I went diving at cove 2, and I did find the bathroom this time - never really had to look for it in the past anyways...

one thing happened today, it really pissed me and my buddy off. At the end of the dive, we were rinsing our gear at the diver rinse station and saw bubbles in the no-dive zone - then shortly after that a fisherman approached us and started yelling at us, accusing us that we were diving right down under the pier, bothering the fishing ... well, we both were deaf (but I understood him) and he just finally realized it and walked away. What pissed me off was that the 2 divers, they were OBVIOUSLY experienced divers (nitrox, deco tank, etc..) and I knew they intentionally went to the no-dive zone. They drove a 00+ metalliac (goldish/silver) chevy tahoe and a newer 4Runner that is silver in color. blast them if you know who they are!

It I see those bad divers I will tear into them. Thanks for the update on how the improvements came about. It is nice to know who to thank for the upgrades.

it looked like someone had a net out there today, starting a hundred feet or so further out than the I-beams out into the path of where the ferry runs. looked like they were fishing for divers? or maybe the ferry? at least one boat had to drive over the i-beams to get around the net. it seemed a little bit hazardous...

Now there is a net? This is getting interesting. It sounds like a hazard to divers and boaters alike. I wonder why it is there and if it is going to be left in place.

What pissed me off was that the 2 divers, they were OBVIOUSLY experienced divers (nitrox, deco tank, etc..) and I knew they intentionally went to the no-dive zone. They drove a 00+ metalliac (goldish/silver) chevy tahoe and a newer 4Runner that is silver in color. blast them if you know who they are!

For what's it's worth...I know these two divers very well. They are frequent buddies of mine. They are both exceptional divers and this is the first time either one of them have gone inside the boundary area let alone all the way to the dock. One of them probably has 120 dives at Cove 2 alone, the other is a very experienced diver, but has dove at Cove 2 very very few times. I can tell you they both feel sick about it and simply made a mistake. They think they must've crossed the line where it bends towards the north.

I can assure you it was NOT INTENTIONAL. The first diver is very good at informing divers new to the site of the boundary area and this was an isolated incident where he simply screwed up.

lamont:
it looked like someone had a net out there today, starting a hundred feet or so further out than the I-beams out into the path of where the ferry runs. looked like they were fishing for divers? or maybe the ferry? at least one boat had to drive over the i-beams to get around the net. it seemed a little bit hazardous...

That would be the Duwamish tribe, exercising their tribal fishing rights. AFAIK - they're the only ones who use nets in Elliott Bay. Use caution ... they're not fishing for divers, but couldn't really care less if they happen to catch one (their tribal rights may even allow it to become a "keeper" ... :11:

Just a reminder, folks ... we are now into the salmon season, when tensions traditionally run highest between fishermen and scuba divers. For the next couple months, I would advise you all to consider not making dive plans that involve the boundary rope, but instead focus your dives more southeast, toward the I-beams and Honey Bear. There's plenty of structure over in that area that's worth exploring.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom