My C-5050 may be broke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdb

Reaction score
I have the Oly c-5050 and love it. But the last couple of times I have used it, I have had strings of pics ( maybe 3 to 5 ) that don't come out. They look very distorted, to the point of not being able to tell what they are. But the pics before and after those will be fine. I have tried to narrow it down to a certian card or settings but it is totally random as far as I can tell. Before I place it in a shop to be fixed I wanted to check and see if anyone here has had that type of problem?

Hey JDB, hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood) and since you covered my thought that it might be the card - I would say it's the camera...time to call Olympus and mail your baby in. Sorry!

Lisa

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will have to send it off, I was just hopeing that someone here would say something like, easy fix, here's what you do. wishfull thinking I guess.

well...did you try wacking it on the side :wink:....might be an easy fix...lol
Good luck and I hope you get it back soon!!

I found (still find) I’ll make a totally messed up shot every now and then because I move the camera after the focus (especially if you use auto…) has been set.

Try shooting a set while being very careful and consistent with moving the camera (or I should say – not moving it when the shutter trips). Then see how they turn out. Pay attention to what was happening when the shutter trips (the camera default is to make a subtle ‘click’ sound) as opposed to when you push the button. Once you push the button, the camera decides when to fire, it may happen a second or more later if you are using auto focus. Moving during that time can give you some pretty crazy results. It also explains the randomness - most of the time, the camera fires quickly.

I thought it was the camera at first….

I had the same problem with my C4040. Once I realized what it was, it doesn’t happen as much anymore – only when the giant free-swimming moray cruises by….

Jeff

mine is doing the exact same thing, even when on a tripod so i know it wasnt me moving. i sent it to Olympus last week, they received it Monday but they havent contacted me yet to let me know whats wrong and how much it will be. i'm going out of town tomorrow and wont be back till late Sunday so if i dont have an email from them by then, i'll be calling them Monday.

steve

DivemasterSteve:
mine is doing the exact same thing, even when on a tripod so i know it wasnt me moving. i sent it to Olympus last week, they received it Monday but they havent contacted me yet to let me know whats wrong and how much it will be. i'm going out of town tomorrow and wont be back till late Sunday so if i dont have an email from them by then, i'll be calling them Monday.

steve

Let me know what you find out. It will be next week at the earliest before I will get a chance to send mine off.

Diversion, I originally thought that may be the problem, But even if I set it up on the tripoid and snap 20 pictures, all 20 may turn out great or I may only get one or two. However most of the pics that don't turn out do look as though they have been set on a long exposure time and the camera just thrown about.

This just started last week before that no problem, Camera was't dropped or anything. No Idea why it would just start all of a sudden, I have been playing around with alot of the settings here lately but I thought I put all back to normal.

i'll let you know as soon as i hear anything. like yours, it just started without me doing anything that would have caused something to go bad. i didnt drop it, get it wet or anything, it just started messing up. when it does most of the time the pics were mainly purple but in most pics you couldnt tell what the pic was. anyway, i'll try to remember to post back here asap after i hear from them.

steve

jdb:
Let me know what you find out. It will be next week at the earliest before I will get a chance to send mine off.
when i got home this evening i had snail-mail from Olympus. they didnt say what was wrong with my camera but they did say it will cost $199.80 including shipping and handling for them to fix it. they said...
"The repair of your product includes the complete check of all functions, replacement or adjustment of any parts needed to bring it to factory specifications and a thorough cleaning. Also included is a (30 day) repair warranty on the full product"

now i need to figure out is it worth $200 to me to let them fix it. being i'm tired from the long weekend trip i will give this more thought tomorrow and figure it out then.

steve

Thanks for the info. I will have to think about sending mine in, $200 is right at that point where it may be better to just upgrade???

Back
Top Bottom