4 Danes and a Canadian missing off Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DameDykker

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a quick translation from Politiken (Danish newspaper) online yesterday:

Four Danish divers and a Canadian instructor are missing in the sea at Zanzibar. The Danish ambassador says that a found life vest could be a good sign.

A frantic search is still going on after the four Danes and their Canadian diving instructor, which disappeared during the weekend while diving at Zanzibar by the coast of Tanzania.

The recovery of a life vest could be a good sign, according to Carsten Nilaus Pedersen, the Danish ambassador in Tanzania.

“The water is very warm and the recovered life vest is of a type the diver has to take off himself. It could be a sign that at least one of them have landed on one of the small islands or on the main island Pemba”, says Carsten Nilaus Pedersen to Ritzau.

Beneficial Currents

He adds that helicopters and ships at the moment are searching the surface but that also the coastal areas on the island are being searched – both inhabited and uninhabited islands.

“Whatever happened to them then they’ll drift ashore somewhere and the currents are such that they won’t drift into the Indian Ocean”, says Carsten Nilaus Pedersen.

According to the Danish embassy the four missing Danes were part of a group of eight, witch were distributed into two groups of three and five, respectively. Both groups were accompanied by a diving instructor and everything went according to plan.

“ It wasn’t a case of a missing boat after they surfaced. In the contranary an alarm was struck when they failed to appear at the agreed upon meting place. The first impression is that the company that arranged the diving trips had everything under control” says the ambassador.

He mentions that the divers might have be swept away from the meeting place by an under water current and that the water is so warm that one can survive several days without too big problems.

Danish pressure

The ambassador won’t guess how long the search will continue. The Kenyan and Tanzania nave are participating in the search.
But he stresses that the Danish embassy in Dar-Es-Salaam will continue to put pressure on the local authorities until the missing divers are found.

I susspect that the "life vest" is a BCD?

Other surces disagree wether they disappeared Friday or Saturday afternoon.

I just hope the are doing a Robinson Crusoe on one of those islands.

DameDykker:
The recovery of a life vest could be a good sign, according to Carsten Nilaus Pedersen, the Danish ambassador in Tanzania.

“The water is very warm and the recovered life vest is of a type the diver has to take off himself. It could be a sign that at least one of them have landed on one of the small islands or on the main island Pemba”, says Carsten Nilaus Pedersen to Ritzau.
OTOH, the found BCD could be a sign that they removed gear to make a long swim easier.

There are other posts about this incident in the Africa/Middle East section.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=104954

Charlie99:
OTOH, the found BCD could be a sign that they removed gear to make a long swim easier.
I dunno.. I might take off my tank and such.. but there's no way I'd be taking off a nice big waterproof bag filled with air if I'm looking at spending days in the ocean.

DameDykker:
According to the Danish embassy the four missing Danes were part of a group of eight, witch were distributed into two groups of three and five, respectively. Both groups were accompanied by a diving instructor and everything went according to plan.

“ It wasn’t a case of a missing boat after they surfaced. In the contranary an alarm was struck when they failed to appear at the agreed upon meting place. The first impression is that the company that arranged the diving trips had everything under control” says the ambassador.

Except for the fact they they had only ONE marker buouy for TWO groups - if that it according to plan, then the plan was bad.

Check this thread where posted some more information.

tx.lakerats:
any more news on this??

This is cut and paste from the dive accident list:

http://iafrica.com/news/worldnews/462427.htm

ZANZIBAR
Five divers missing off Zanzibar

Mon, 18 Jul 2005
Four Danish divers and their Canadian instructor have gone missing in
Indian Ocean waters off the Tanzanian islands of Zanzibar and Pemba,
police and the company that organized the trip said on Monday.

The five, who were among a group of 14 who left on a scuba diving
outing from Pemba island on Saturday, did not return to the dive boat
and have not been seen since they went off in a separate direction
from the other nine divers, they said.

"Up to now, the search is going on to establish what happened and the
fate of the five who have disappeared," Pemba police commander Ameir
Juma Ameir told AFP. "We cannot know whether they are dead or alive."

Ramadhani Kinyogo, the police spokesman on nearby Zanzibar, told AFP
the search was centred around Misali island off South Pemba and was
being conducted by Zanzibar marines and divers from Dar es Salaam on
the Tanzanian mainland.

An official with Pemba-based Swahili Divers, which organized the
trip, said the Canadian instructor was a "very experienced"
divemaster and that the boat captain and other nine on board had made
every effort to locate the missing before having to end their search
at dusk on Saturday.

"They all did a dive together and then, as planned, they split up,"
said the official identified herself as Helena. "The ones who
returned to the boat searched for them but had to give up at sunset."

According to police, the dive centre identified the missing Danes as
Daniel Sechow, Gabriel Lewnste, Lise Lotten and Simon Lewesan and the
missing Canadian as Nile Clenk.

AFP

Not many fact so far. I looked at the link. Thank you for the local update.

pants!:
I dunno.. I might take off my tank and such.. but there's no way I'd be taking off a nice big waterproof bag filled with air if I'm looking at spending days in the ocean.

I agree. There is no way a BC found in open water was a good sign. I've been on several drift dives that ended off target. I can't think of any condition where I'd willing take my BC off in open water.

Qweevox, exactly BECAUSE you would not take off a BCD in open water it was seen as a good sign, because it could have indicated that at least one of the divers had made it to an island, taken off his BC, which was later washed away by the tide.

But it doesn't really make much difference now, it's been nearly 10 days since the divers went missing, and as far as I know the search was stopped a few days ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom