Into the Void....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Gilbert

Registered
Reaction score
:11:

While I've been swimming since I was three and am very comfortable in the water, I REALLY don't like the thought of diving in (or into) dark waters, especially night diving. The thought of diving with sharks doesn't bother me (I'm actually wanting to eventually become a shark/marine wildlife photgrapher) but diving in deep waters and descending down into that blackness just gives me the willies. Anyone else have these apprehensions? Did you get over it or do you just avoid these types of dives?

Pat Gilbert:
While I've been swimming since I was three and am very comfortable in the water, I REALLY don't like the thought of diving in (or into) dark waters, especially night diving. The thought of diving with sharks doesn't bother me (I'm actually wanting to eventually become a shark/marine wildlife photgrapher) but diving in deep waters and descending down into that blackness just gives me the willies. Anyone else have these apprehensions? Did you get over it or do you just avoid these types of dives?

Yeah, I got the willies the first couple of times.... now I have come to embrace it and enjoy it.

Never got spooked, but that's probably 'cause I used to skin dive way before I got hooked on compressed air.

Perhaps an easy way to start is shallow dives (which is how it should be done) and work your way deeper as your progress, slowly within you comfort level, which will also depend on the conditions in which you dive. Night dives spook out a lot of people, I know some people that just won't do it, it spooks me a bit, but in an exciting way... again, get used to daylight diving and then go when you're ready, remember it isn't a race!

One thing might be to start with shore dives where you can follow the bottom as you go deeper, that might help. With proper instructions/supervision and or buddy(ies) you should adapt just fine!

Good luck

It's not dark once you turn on your light. Get a good light. But I hear you. I admire the spirit of divers who dive for the sake of diving into quarries and bad vis lakes etc. I'm not sure I would dive if I had to dive in those conditions. It's like hiking into a cave with little to no light (which I don't get a thrill out of) vs hiking a trail along a mountain with sunlight, trees, birds and a view for miles.

After some thought about how the students are instructed up here (coldwater/low viz) ... I've thought of some good advise.

Don't drop over walls to start, atleast ones you can't see the bottom on. If you can, start in an area with a gradual downward slope. Follow the bottom as it slopes downward... it's much more comfortable to do it this way than to drop over a wall and into the unknown. :thumbs-up

Darn right i got the willies from it.

First OW dive was in Dutch Springs in PA. We hit a max depth of 60 ft. Wasn't so much the darkness but rather the cold. I was in a rental 7mm suit in May and the bottom temp was around 46.

My first wreck dive off NJ was a little creepy but only on descent. I remember descending down through the water column and right around the thermocline the light and visibility went down. Of course the temp dropped too. At that point i remember asking myself "Why am i doing this?" But i pushed on, and finally the wreck came into view. I remember kneeling on the sand in 70 ft. of water next to this broken up 300' freighter with tons of black fish and sea bass swimming around, bergalls galor, thinking to myself wow....this is really cool. It wasn't all that dark, and the scenery took hold of me. After that, day i couldn't wait to get back down for another dive.

It takes alot to make it to dark to see. I was down 163 in Lake michigan and could see 30-40 feet without a light.

I have been down 60 feet around dusk and it can get to dark to read your gauges with a light.

jcm996:
It takes alot to make it to dark to see. I was down 163 in Lake michigan and could see 30-40 feet without a light.

I have been down 60 feet around dusk and it can get to dark to read your gauges with a light.
Depends where you're at. Our area has some like that but we also have the majority of get black fast sections.

Remember conditions can change fast so work on your comfort level so you don't become a stat.

Gary D.

Anyone who's smart takes it a little at a time. Being careful is a good thing when it comes to sports like diving. Nice thing is you only have to go on dives you want to. For some reason, the idea of night dives doesn't appeal to me, yet I've done it many times. It's just that when it came time to go, I couldn't say no. And I've enjoyed everyone of them. Deep, (120+) doesn't bother me, but I'm not called to go real deep. Most of the neat critters to see is 40ft sw or less anyway. Sometimes water that looks dark and deep isn't really, it may just be the sun and shadows. Take it at your own pace.

jcm996:

HAH! You should come down to the lake that I dive... 20ft viz, but it's black as night at 70 feet... you cannot see without a light.

Back
Top Bottom