Internet vs. LDS--A conversation I had this morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngieDinOKC

Registered
Reaction score
I had a conversation with an Oklahoma LDS this morning and the more I think about it, the more frustrated and angry I get. There were no unpleasantries exchanged, but...ugh, I'm going to type it here so I'll quit being frustrated about it.

I was in Houston all week last week and stopped into Scubatoys on my way home to pick up a new gauge console (Scubatoys is like scuba heaven, the place is amazing, btw...thanks, Larry) I have a wrist mount computer that I wanted to put in a console and figured that it would be really easy just to pop that little sucker out of the wrist mount and pop it into a console--it's not--and I want a pro to go ahead and attach it to my first stage because I know just enough about my scuba equipment to be dangerous--(when it comes to tearing stuff up and putting it back together).

I was asking him about prices, he couldn't tell me ANY (I live 60 miles away from any dive shop so I like to make plans and have an idea of costs when I'm going to drive an hour just to get there...)--he then asks me where I got my console--this is where it gets good. I told him scuba toys--he told me that they wouldn't attach it without servicing it first. I told him I just bought it brand new from scuba toys...that I went INTO scuba toys to get it and that I was unaware that brand new out of the box gear required servicing...To make a long story short, they were going to refuse to do the work for a fair price because he THOUGHT I bought it online.

I understand that online services are undercutting the LDS's and that LDS's have to find a way to survive...but if you are going to try to screw potential customers to make up for the downturn, you aren't going to survive anyway...

If you want to know the name of the shop, PM me. I'm not going to post it publically. I'm still frustrated.

Angie

Hi Angie--

This didn't have anything to do with whether you bought the console on-line, or whether you bought it in person.

This had everything to do with the "local" guy you talked with feeling threatened by ScubaToys; and inventing a reason that he thought you'd fall for, to punish you for buying from them in any way.

You, um, didn't agree to take the console to him, did you? And told him why?

--Marek

I ended up hanging up with a have a good day and I "may" be in in the next couple of days. Needless to say, I won't be in in a couple of days. I'll find another shop--or I'll drive to Dallas and see Larry again!...grin

Angie

You could just ship the equipment to Larry and have him do the work. I just went through this a few weeks ago at a local shop. Needless to say if I need gear serviced that I can't do myself, I will be shipping it off to either Larry (scubatoys) or Joel (techdivinglimited). Both are top notch guys that I would feel comfortable in letting service my gear.

Sad to see local shops slitting their own throats, and then wondering why nobody comes in anymore..

Matt

Corigan:
You could just ship the equipment to Larry and have him do the work. I just went through this a few weeks ago at a local shop. Needless to say if I need gear serviced that I can't do myself, I will be shipping it off to either Larry (scubatoys) or Joel (techdivinglimited). Both are top notch guys that I would feel comfortable in letting service my gear.

Sad to see local shops slitting their own throats, and then wondering why nobody comes in anymore..

Matt

I guess I have a great LDS here in CT. I went to the shop to look for a computer and they couldn't match ScubaToys price, they told me to buy it from Larry and would service it if I had any problems (he also offered training if I needed it). The owner told me that he would service anything as long as it came from an authorized dealer. They even matched the prices from ScubaToys.

ctmax:
I guess I have a great LDS here in CT. I went to the shop to look for a computer and they couldn't match ScubaToys price, they told me to buy it from Larry and would service it if I had any problems (he also offered training if I needed it). The owner told me that he would service anything as long as it came from an authorized dealer. They even matched the prices from ScubaToys.

Why does he stipulate that it must come fro0m an authorized dealer? Can it be a foreign authorized dealer? Can it be used?

Maybe your LDS is not so great!

AngieDinOKC:
I ended up hanging up with a have a good day and I "may" be in in the next couple of days. Needless to say, I won't be in in a couple of days. I'll find another shop--or I'll drive to Dallas and see Larry again!...grin

Angie

Hey Angie,

Call back and talk to the guy and ask him if he would accept a sales receipt as proof that you didn't buy it online. It shoudln't make a bit of difference especially if he is also a authorized dealer. What would he do if you just moved to town and had problems...Sorry we won't service that because you can't prove where you bought it.

I am waiting for something similar to happen at my LDS. I can see taking in my regs and ask him for an o-ring and he refuses to sell me one because he doesn't carry Zeagle.

Angie,

(I'm soon to be transplanted from Puget Sound to the midwest so I've been browsing your (midwest) threads.)

Here in Seattle there is a mix of dive shops. They are all starting to take the stance that the WEB is here to stay and the sooner they start "competing" with them the healthier they will be into the future. They know there is no "personal" service on the web and they know they have that as their competative edge.

Some even offer price matching with web sources that are Certified distributors for matching brands. Others find that they may not want to match but will negotiate down a bit to come close in order to keep their customers happy while still being able to make a profit (usually smaller stores).

Now, while your LDS is not a real money making business it does make money EVEN BY MATCHING PRICES. Some years back several sites were really cutting prices and the industry stepped in and set a guideline as to how much they could reduce prices (which to me looked like price fixing - but...that's another can of worms.)

Anyway, my advice is to get rid of his business card and move on to a better store. If the guy is creating stories about this, it would make me question his integrety and that's something that I WANT NO PART OF when dealing with life support equipment.

awap:
Why does he stipulate that it must come fro0m an authorized dealer? Can it be a foreign authorized dealer? Can it be used?

Maybe your LDS is not so great!

He only said that if it had to be sent back for repair. They work on my used stuff with no problems or questions.

Hi, AngieD in OKC! We frequent several of the metro area dive shops, as well as ScubaToys. You might phone a couple of the others -- there are atleast six shops in town, and some are more long-term customer friendly.
Of course, I'd use any excuse to visit Dallas.
And I have a very hard time believing any shop here hasn't heard about people driving to Texas to get scuba supplies. After all, Tenkiller, Elmer Thomas and Lake Murray are all a lot closer to the border.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom