September in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Law5Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Konnichiwa...

Well.. I may be visiting Japan in September. Was thinking about diving. I will be staying mostly in Tokyo. Okiwawa is not going to be an option. But, I could make it down to Kyuushu.

Question is.. how cold will it be in Izu or more down south? I would guess that shops don't normally have a wet suit for someone 6 feet 2 inches tall??

Izu in September is great. My log from last year shows mid 70s in Atami (northeast Izu, 45 minutes from Tokyo by bullet train) and low 80s for Koura (southeast Izu.) You don't need to go to Kyushu just for good diving there, although the diving there is good.

There are two English-speaking diveops on this board, they will probably see this and contact you. They can also let you know about what they have for exposure protection.

best time of the year to dive Japan is from about September to March - too cold for most Japanese so not very crowded. Water temp will be at it's warmest in September which is not always good for the viz. but means you don't have to bring the thick suits with you.

You never know I might even get back in the water then! Summer is too crowded at the dive sites and on the roads for my liking!

Law5Guy:
Konnichiwa...

Well.. I may be visiting Japan in September. Was thinking about diving. I will be staying mostly in Tokyo. Okiwawa is not going to be an option. But, I could make it down to Kyuushu.

Question is.. how cold will it be in Izu or more down south? I would guess that shops don't normally have a wet suit for someone 6 feet 2 inches tall??

We have wetsuits in American sizes, up to size 3XL, 1 piece 5 mm. suits.

September is my favorite time to dive due to warm water temperatures but it has the most probability of typhoons. Water temps up to 26 degrees C on the surface, 22-23 at depth.

Please send me an e-mail for further information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom