Easy tank pressure question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregseto:
In Queensland, it is apparently ILLEGAL to surface with less than 50 bar in the tank

Classic,
Drown or break the law...what to do?
Even if such a law existed it wold be too laughable to even worry about conforming to. Plan and execute your dives safely and legality is rarely a concern.

Bill51:
The ACLU has already claimed that’s unconstitutional and everyone has the right to die underwater from lack of air. Expect further questioning of Roberts as to his position on OOA emergencies and deaths. :D
Of course, once they do succeed in dying underwater, their families will retain the right to sue, in order:

1. The tank manufacturer for not specifically stating on the tank that once depleted, the user may no longer be able to breathe.
2. The shop or boat which filled the tank, by not putting enough air in it to compensate for higher usage (The Americans with Disabilities Act, which covers people with poor gas management skills).
3. The diver's certifying agency, which clearly did not adequately train the diver to survive after ignoring his/her air supply.
4. The company who produced the diver's SPG, as it obviously was not designed for this specific diver, and was probably calibrated wrong by a disgruntled factory worker with the intention of killing the diver.

If I remember correctly, the reasons for 'on-the-boat' pressure rules are that;

a To allow for slower ascents than planned (problems like boats overhead, entanglement on ascent...)
b To stop us nearly emptying the tanks (which allows condensation to form)
c Because some regulators stop feeding when the pressure gets low, a point which may be higher than atmospheric pressure...

Si

The attached document is pretty good for figuring out your turn pressure. (pressure you start heading back up at). It is based on depth, and allows for two people to surface safely, with a safety stop, on one tank.

My buddy and I use "at a 1000 let me know, 750 up we go" and it has worked great leaving plenty for a three minute or more safety stop.

ScubaSixString:
What do they do if they find you doing something you "CAN'T" do? Absolutely nothing, so far as i can tell.

As far as scuba diving is concerned, they usually start with a search, followed by a recovery of your body.

doos:
The attached document is pretty good for figuring out your turn pressure. (pressure you start heading back up at). It is based on depth, and allows for two people to surface safely, with a safety stop, on one tank.

That assumes you're breathing the tank down to zero psi doesnt it? Thats a bad thing to routinely practice, it will encourage moisture in the tank and therefore corrosion. ?

ramgib:
My buddy and I use "at a 1000 let me know, 750 up we go" and it has worked great leaving plenty for a three minute or more safety stop.

yep, what she said...

xSandman3:
2. The shop or boat which filled the tank, by not putting enough air in it to compensate for higher usage (The Americans with Disabilities Act, which covers people with poor gas management skills).

Does that mean since I'm a Hoover I get one of those tags to hang on my mirror so I get a parking space up front? :uptosome:

That'd be cool so I don't have to carry my gear as far to the entry point.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, especially doos for that equation. I'm definitely not worried about anybody busting me for breathing too much- in case anyone thinks I might be, I was just looking for general guidelines and conversions, which I recieved from everybody. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom