Depth Guage not registering.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask the wonderful DM if they want to fly in a plane who's altimeter is "a little off" at 30 feet and send 'em up at night, in the fog, with no external visual points of reference. See if they'll go and then run like hell cause they are dangerous.

1. Refuse to use faulty gear. My guess is you paid good money for your cert class and you deserve better than some poorly maintained shop crap.
2. A good dive leader will not let you in the water with faulty gear. When one of my students has something that doesn't work, I provide them with something that does - maybe mine or maybe a spare I carry. It is obvious the dive leader was unprepared for problems, which is either a sign of inexperience or incompetence. Either way, not a leader I would want to follow.
3.The leader told you not to worry about malfunctioning gear? I agree with another poster - ask them to switch with you and see what they do. That person has no business teaching diving. All gauges that function properly read and display depth at every foot you descend. Some computers that turn on automatically don't turn on until about 5 feet, but by 12 feet I guarantee they'll all be on and registering. What can you say? Tell him/her they're a moron - and tell 'um I said so too!

If I were you I'd get away from that place before they ended up killing me.

K

mrjoe:
Ok check this out and tell me what you think. I'm going through my OW cert course and during my confined water dives at 12 feet my depth gauge would not register. My Buddies did though. (both are on rented regs from the LDS we are getting certified through.) I told the DM about it and was told not to worry that some of them will not register and such a shallow depth. Ok I'll buy that. What else can I say right.

Then during my first open water dive we went to a depth of 30 feet. My buddies depth gauge registered our depth and again mine did not. I told the DM on this dive when we returned to the boat that it was not working, and wouldn't you know it she didn't believe me! She totally doubted me and suggested that I was looking at the wrong needle ot misread the gauge. She said that she wanted to see for herself on our next dive.

My 2nd dive never happened because I had a little anxiety attack and could not catch my breath. So I'm going back out this Sunday. Anyway I'm just looking for comments, suggestions and feedback regarding the depth gauge. I can't imagine going on another dive knowing that I have faulty equipment. I do plan on switching out my reg before Sunday.

definatly not cool dude. If the DM doesnt care enough to even check out the equiptment that you rented form the shop the DM most likely teaches out of. What does that say about their program in general? I dont know why people put up with ANY BS from anyone let alone somone you have handed several hundred dollars of your money to teach YOU/ Weather you know it or not ,, u are kinda the boss and for the most part they are working FOR you to help you join our sport. I would definatly consider not taking any further certs with that instructor.

Spoon:
what a character. your dm is obviously ful of $@$ i wouldnt dive with him. both he and your gauge are defective. change both immediately.
I'd dive with him. Something just might get repaired, on the bottom. He wouldn't be the first and at my age he might be the last so it would have to be a good one.

:D Gary D. :D

Thank you to all who posted a reply to my original post. I did exchange my reg and explained to the owner and my instructor what happened. He told me that the DM who told me that was very worng, and that she was not a DM he normally uses to assist him with his classes. Apparently she is from Minnesota and just visiting. I guess the Depth Guages they use in Minnesota only work beyond 12 feet.....(just kidding!)

Anyway I still have faith in my Instructors and the regular DMs are very good. The Reg they gave me was brand new and worked perfectly, amd I didn't even have to insist. They also gave me special attention and were very supportive because of my anxiety issue. I completed my OW Cert yesterday ( horray!) and because of the problems I experienced they are going to give me free rentals on my next dive. (3 cheers for my LDS!)

Thanks again for the replys they were very helpful.

Joe

mrjoe:
Thank you to all who posted a reply to my original post. I did exchange my reg and explained to the owner and my instructor what happened. He told me that the DM who told me that was very worng, and that she was not a DM he normally uses to assist him with his classes. Apparently she is from Minnesota and just visiting. I guess the Depth Guages they use in Minnesota only work beyond 12 feet.....(just kidding!)

Anyway I still have faith in my Instructors and the regular DMs are very good. The Reg they gave me was brand new and worked perfectly, amd I didn't even have to insist. They also gave me special attention and were very supportive because of my anxiety issue. I completed my OW Cert yesterday ( horray!) and because of the problems I experienced they are going to give me free rentals on my next dive. (3 cheers for my LDS!)

Joe
Bummer, I was looking forward to having some fun with that DM.

All kidding aside you need to follow up and see if she works for another shop. If she does have a chat with her boss. This gal could be dangerous.

Gary D

mrjoe:

Joe

Glad to hear that. Well done again for raising the issue with the LDS staff.

Congrats for passing and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom