Flower Gardens Trip Report Aug 30 & 31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lackingcreativity:
So, is it normal to get three dives in on the second day on the sea searcher?

Chris
Yes, three dives are NORMAL on the second day. The SeasearcherII does not have a "rigid" schedule of being back at the dock at 5 P.M. We do five dives Sat. and three Sunday for a total of eight in the weekend.
The Seasearcher II only runs on weekends. Sixteen passengers on a 95' boat plus 2 captains, 3 DM's and a chef. No cattle boat here folks. We can get back late because we do not have another group boarding for another trip. So, no dives cut short for anything besides weather.
Biased Lead/Sr DM on the SeasearcherII;
Bill

ianr33:
Am going on the Sea Searcher this weekend (first trip with them) hope the weather is as good as you had. Sounds like its a nicer boat than the Spring or the Flee?
Ian;
Trip report please.
Bill

Hey Geek,

What ya been up to?? Are you still working on your DM? Hope it is/has gone well. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

GeekDiver:
Hey Paul,

Sounds like a fun trip. I was in Austin the other weekend and ran accrossed Steve F and Cpt Howey from the Sea Searcher.

yep, I finnished. It took me a bit to find a student for my DM conducted program or I would have been finnished some time ago. I enjoyed the extra time though and hopefully will make me a better DM in the long run. I'm thinking of taking the PADI large boat DM specialty so I can work the FG boats. The next class isn't till March though if I understand correctly.

I'm thinking I may get out to TL this weekend. I want to catch up on some fun diving and hopefully I'll run into some of the gang down there. I think I have to be in Bryan on Sat but I'm hoping to dive Sunday. Depends on the wife and what she has planned.

thanks for your report! hubby and I are going on sea searcher II in september. am very excited about it. we're pretty new, have 20 dives, have our AOO, are the kind of people who are careful and pay attention. did 12 dives in cozumel, 2 st. lucia, 2 puerto rico. have done 5 night dives. thanks for your report and info regarding the crew and their safety and care of the divers.
Cudabait:
Boat: MV Sea Sea Searcher II
Weather: Good
Seas: Less than 2 feet

Friday evening before departure local heavy rain was had on shore. This passed before departure. We had a total of 16 divers, this is the maximum total on this boat, including two Team Leaders. Bunk selection and paperwork was done and we departed. The Sea Searcher is a relatively fast boat with a comfortable ride. A little chat and light snack and off to bed.

Saturday: 1st dive at about 7:15AM on West Bank. 2nd dive done after a two hour SI. same site. A little cloudy. Viz was 100+. Note: we had current of varying intensity and direction on each dive made. All the usual Caribbean Reef characters common to the Flower Gardens were present on every dive. Numerous turtles and sharks were seen. No Whale Sharks or Mantas.

Boat moved to East Bank. 3rd and 4th dives: Viz: 100+. Interesting current conditions...surface curent running one direction with it's own temperature, Mid water column a different temperature, and on the bottom, a different temp with the current running in the oposite direction from the surface. All the same beautiful creatures around, including some very large 'cuda's and a few sharks. 5th dive was a very interesting night dive with great viz and a plethora of night creatures. Same conditions as day dives. Earlier in the day we attempted to do a rig dive but were unable to hook up due to opposing wind and current conditions.

During the night we moved from East Bank to Stetson Bank. We made three dives at Stetson. Viz was excellent for Stetson...100+. We had current on all three dives
...totally manageable. Of course, Stetson is rocks, hills and limestone foundation, unlike the coral at the Flower Gardens. As such, the marine life is more visible. Again we saw turtles, sharks, all the reef characters. Schools of very large red snapper and the largest mid water column school of Vermillion Snapper I've ever seen! Absolutely looked like baitfish.

During the 2nd dive at Stetson, the wind jumped up due to a passing thunderstorm. Re-entry was a little bumpy and everyone had a chance to exercise their ladder skills. However, during the Surface Interval the wind subsided and the third and last dive of the trip was just as great as all the preceding.

I would have to give this operation and overall A+!!. Excellent dive briefings before each dive based on in water observations; attention to diver safety...by dive masters and captains alike. It was not necessary to pick up a single diver in the zodiac on the entire trip. Bottom time, maximum depth and remaining air were closely monitored and charted for each diver on each individual dive. Redundant air on checks were made on each diver by crew prior to each giant stride entry.

Cudos to Al, the cook...his great personality, great food and parade of snacks cannot go unmentioned!! This is truly an adventure dive! The same number of dives on a tropical reef comparable to a week in the Caribbean at about 1/4 or 1/3 the cost.

My wife and I and some friends are booked to go again on September 17 & 18. As with any Flower Garden trip...we've got our fingers crossed!! What a trip this time out!!

Regards to all the others on the boat!!

hey there! i just saw that you are going back on sept 17.18. that's when we are going!! look forward to meeting you!!
Cudabait:
Boat: MV Sea Sea Searcher II
Weather: Good
Seas: Less than 2 feet

Friday evening before departure local heavy rain was had on shore. This passed before departure. We had a total of 16 divers, this is the maximum total on this boat, including two Team Leaders. Bunk selection and paperwork was done and we departed. The Sea Searcher is a relatively fast boat with a comfortable ride. A little chat and light snack and off to bed.

Saturday: 1st dive at about 7:15AM on West Bank. 2nd dive done after a two hour SI. same site. A little cloudy. Viz was 100+. Note: we had current of varying intensity and direction on each dive made. All the usual Caribbean Reef characters common to the Flower Gardens were present on every dive. Numerous turtles and sharks were seen. No Whale Sharks or Mantas.

Boat moved to East Bank. 3rd and 4th dives: Viz: 100+. Interesting current conditions...surface curent running one direction with it's own temperature, Mid water column a different temperature, and on the bottom, a different temp with the current running in the oposite direction from the surface. All the same beautiful creatures around, including some very large 'cuda's and a few sharks. 5th dive was a very interesting night dive with great viz and a plethora of night creatures. Same conditions as day dives. Earlier in the day we attempted to do a rig dive but were unable to hook up due to opposing wind and current conditions.

During the night we moved from East Bank to Stetson Bank. We made three dives at Stetson. Viz was excellent for Stetson...100+. We had current on all three dives
...totally manageable. Of course, Stetson is rocks, hills and limestone foundation, unlike the coral at the Flower Gardens. As such, the marine life is more visible. Again we saw turtles, sharks, all the reef characters. Schools of very large red snapper and the largest mid water column school of Vermillion Snapper I've ever seen! Absolutely looked like baitfish.

During the 2nd dive at Stetson, the wind jumped up due to a passing thunderstorm. Re-entry was a little bumpy and everyone had a chance to exercise their ladder skills. However, during the Surface Interval the wind subsided and the third and last dive of the trip was just as great as all the preceding.

I would have to give this operation and overall A+!!. Excellent dive briefings before each dive based on in water observations; attention to diver safety...by dive masters and captains alike. It was not necessary to pick up a single diver in the zodiac on the entire trip. Bottom time, maximum depth and remaining air were closely monitored and charted for each diver on each individual dive. Redundant air on checks were made on each diver by crew prior to each giant stride entry.

Cudos to Al, the cook...his great personality, great food and parade of snacks cannot go unmentioned!! This is truly an adventure dive! The same number of dives on a tropical reef comparable to a week in the Caribbean at about 1/4 or 1/3 the cost.

My wife and I and some friends are booked to go again on September 17 & 18. As with any Flower Garden trip...we've got our fingers crossed!! What a trip this time out!!

Regards to all the others on the boat!!

Yes, DONNAD,

I think some of the other divers that were on this trip are also going back out in September. No question about it...there will be a great group of people on the trip. We're looking forward to seeing Y'all. You can PM me if you wish.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom