Tooth pain before diving certification tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a root canal done, a few years ago. Worse pain was before the procedure. The proceedure was acutally pain free. I had this dread before due to all the ledgends and horror stories about root canals. Piece of cake. Three visits, one to consult, one to do the root canal and fill with gutta percha, and one to check the work. Dentist crowned the tooth. End of problem.

Scuba rocks! I had an amazing time this weekend and no tooth pain whatsoever! My instructor (a friend) put us on an accelerated schedule so we were able to do go through all the basic skills tests plus two fun dives - five dives in all - in two days, plus nitrox training. I loved it and can't wait to get back in the water in two weeks. I hope to go on to advanced scuba training soon.

My next dive is in two weeks, and I was thinking about getting my root canal work done completely, including the permanent crown, before then. I don't have any tooth pain right now, but figure it needs to get done sometime or other. How long does it usually take? Also, can anyone recommend a good dentist in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, with experience treating scuba divers preferred?

Thanks, all! And thanks especially to Dr. Stein for being such a great source of advice and support on this board!

cek88:
Scuba rocks! I had an amazing time this weekend and no tooth pain whatsoever! My instructor (a friend) put us on an accelerated schedule so we were able to do go through all the basic skills tests plus two fun dives - five dives in all - in two days, plus nitrox training. I loved it and can't wait to get back in the water in two weeks. I hope to go on to advanced scuba training soon.

My next dive is in two weeks, and I was thinking about getting my root canal work done completely, including the permanent crown, before then. I don't have any tooth pain right now, but figure it needs to get done sometime or other. How long does it usually take? Also, can anyone recommend a good dentist in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, with experience treating scuba divers preferred?

Thanks, all! And thanks especially to Dr. Stein for being such a great source of advice and support on this board!

Some root canals can be done in one visit and some require multiple visits. It depends upon what is found within the canal. In general, if the dentist finds bleeding in all canals, it is possible to complete it on one visit...time permitting. If there is pus or other infected material within the tooth...even if it is in only one canal or a multi-canaled tooth...and the remaining canals are vital (bleeding) then it is usually better to wait to finish the canal with medication placed within the tooth.

It is common practice to place a cotton pellet within the pulp chamber under the temporary filling. If the root canal is not complete, often there is some medication applied to the pellet. The cotton pellet and any remaining air space can be problematic for a scuba diver. If you must dive, have your dentist completely fill the chamber with the temporary cement. This will make multiple visit root canals more difficult because the cotton also signals the dentist when he has removed all the temporary filling.

BTW, the majority of root canals don't hurt. However, if you have a tooth that you can't even touch with your tongue before treatment, anesthesia may become more difficult. Following root canal therapy, some patients may experience some tenderness but most are completely comfortable.

Good luck and enjoy diving.

Laurence Stein, DDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom