True story: A Solemn Moment an honored Dead - Or NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Another playing of Taps on my trumpet was scheduled at a burial today at 2pm. I warmed up at the church, then drove over to the cemetery and was right on time.

Just as instructed, I slipped off about 35 yards to the side and behind the crowd and waited for my cue. The mourners wouldn't’t know I was there until I hit the first note.

The deceased was a WWII veteran, so the ceremony was very military in nature, with representatives from every branch of the military attending in uniform.

They removed the coffin from the hearse and placed it solemnly before the grave. They saluted the coffin and draped an American flag over it. The Preacher spoke of Christ and the dead and eternal life. He read some bible verses. Then the deceased’s granddaughter spoke of his service in WWII and how bravely he fought.

When she finished, she stepped back and nodded at me – my cue to begin playing Taps.

If you’ve ever played a brass instrument, you know that there is a thing at the end of the lead pipe called spit valve, which is a hole in the tubing that, when pressed open, allows excess saliva to escape. When playing, the hole is covered by a round piece of cork on a spring valve. Well, unbeknownst to me, between the time I had warmed up and my cue to begin, the cork had fallen out of the spit valve, leaving a gaping hole in the end of my lead pipe.

The granddaughter stepped back and nodded at me. I raised the instrument to my lips, took a deep breath and blew out a horrendous fart blast into the crowd.

Everyone turned in shock to stare at me.

I ripped the horn from my lips and gaped down at the offending instrument. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong, but something was definitely wrong. The people were staring incredulously at me. I wanted to run away. I was going to try to explain that something went wrong (an explanation they didn’t really need), and then I saw the missing cork.

I opened up the valve and jammed the pinky finger of my left hand into the opening of the spit valve and covered the hole, then awkwardly tried to bring the trumpet back up to my lips. I started to play.

Daaaa da dahhhh…….

It sounded OK, and I took a breath between phrases. That’s when I made a big mistake by looking back into the crowd. They were still staring at me in shock from the original fart sound. Obviously, this was a new version of Taps they had never heard. A giggle started to rise up in me… Oh, oh…

I got control and played the second phrase.

Daaa da dehhhhhhh….

As I was holding the note, it was suddenly striking me as all so very funny, and the laughter wanted to bubble back up in me, as of it’s own free will.

No, no, no, I willed. I will not lose it.

I closed my eyes, so as not to see the astonished faces. I took another breath between phrases… and the giggling came forth.

I stifled it… I waited… I paused way too long between phrases… No, no, NO! No laughing! I tried to think of something sad. The poor guy was dead, but for some reason that thought seemed even the more funny.

I played the next phrase. I fought through every note not to think about their astonished looks at my fart sound, at my pinkie jammed into my spit valve. It took me forever to get through the song. I paused way too long between each phrase, trying to hold it together.

Finally the nightmare song was over. I opened my eyes. They were still gapping at me, some people looking at each other with confused faces. It was the preacher’s turn, but he just looked at me with his mouth open. I pointed at him like a director giving a cue. He did a little headshake, started back up again, and finally the people looked away.

I walked quickly to my car and got the heck out of there.

Absolute, true story.

That was my day today.

Nicely done Rick, you held it together. It was probably more horrendous to you than any of the observers

That is WAY too funny! Sorry for the embarassment but thanks for the story.

Hey, I'm just happy that do such a great thing for our vets. Good for you, and at least no one will ever forget this guys funeral!

thanks hilarious... hopefully after a few drinks at the wake they would start laughing about it and hopefully the Vet had a good enough sense of humor to be smiling where-ever he is.

I hope your joking and made this up cuz there is nothing funny about your story. Had you been playing at my fathers funeral and this occured you woudnt have made it to you car. Having a problem with your horn is one thing and excusable, but getting caught up with giggles would have been insulting to the max to me.

Did you even care about the family? For something as somber as a funeral I think your actions were unprefessional and you should have offered an appology, quitly after the service w/an explaination of what occured. Had you done that it would have been understandable and most likely forgiven. Running off like that shows a lack of respect.

point taken GeekDiver, but not everyone has as sick a sense of humor as me and not everyone would have been upset as you would be. Rick seemed to be doing his best to rectify the moment as best as possible.

im left wondering if maybe a greater power may have been playing mischief on the day and having a smile at all of Rick's problems.... we'll never know...

without knowing the person or their family, we can only hope they were not offended

Had he explained himself to the family afterwards and not just running off I would be inclined to agree, but I thought it shameful and offensive as he told it. Now that he's had time to digest his actions he chose to discuse it in a humor section which makes it worse.

I have two flag cases in my den from my father and grandfather who were both combat vets. My son will have another to add when I die. As a combat vet who has heard taps play in a combat zone for a fellow brother in arms killed in action. I find nothing funny about giggling at a funeral. Making a mistake or having a problem is understandable laughing and then running off with out an explainiation is another.

TAPs always bring tears to my eyes even if I don't know the person being honored because I understand and have been there.

it doesn't say he giggled, it says he *felt* like giggling. he worked hard to hold it together and not be disrespectful.

rick, my family would have loved it, but we try to laugh at funerals.

GeekDiver:
I find nothing funny about giggling at a funeral.

Often times people get the giggles in a stressful situation. Have you ever seen the news reports where someone makes a mistake and then begins to giggle so hard that they can't continue the broadcast? Rick didn't mean any disrespect; it was just a response that sometimes happens. The more he thought about what had happened, the more giggles came. If the same thing happened at my funeral, I hope those attending would know me well enough to realize that I would be looking down and laughing harder than any of them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom