Newbie equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remeber, this guy wants to do technical diving down the road some day.

Buying once is always cheaper and rec stuff will not cut it in that environment - no matter what kind of deal or how well it fits.

Regs - Most people use the following due to hose routing on doubles: Apex DS4 or Scuba Pro MK25. If you buy ether, you won’t have to upgrade/replace later. Get DIN and use an adapter for yoke - again, looking to the future. Use high quality, typically adjustable second stages. Apex TX40 or 50, not sure what the standard choices are for ScubaPro (S600?)

How about Atomic B2? It cost about the same (around $500) can it still fully covert to doubles?

BC - Get a wing. You'll end up with a doubles wing, singles wing, stainless steel plate and aluminum plate eventually. A good start is a wing in the 30# lift range and an ss plate. But the al plate as part of your next trip south and the doubles wing in a few years when you get some experience and start penetrating. As for brands, Oxycheck, Halcyon and DiveRite and a few others are the major players.

If I know that eventually I will go for doubles, shall I start with, say, Halcyon double BP and use a STA by the mean time? Is that why they use STA? Do you start with single plate or double? Then about the wings, there are double wings and single wings, if I started with double BP can I use a single wing BC?

Thanks!

alo100:
How about Atomic B2? It cost about the same (around $500) can it still fully covert to doubles?

I don't know anyone around here using them but a quick glance at the web page makes me believe it would route basically the same as the scuba pro. So, if your confident in its reliability I don't see anything to stop you.

alo100:
If I know that eventually I will go for doubles, shall I start with, say, Halcyon double BP and use a STA by the mean time? Is that why they use STA? Do you start with single plate or double? Then about the wings, there are double wings and single wings, if I started with double BP can I use a single wing BC?
Thanks!

There are 3 basic parts to a wing setup.

Backplate - All backplates are the same for the most part. They all work equally well with any wing, singles or doubles.
Harness - Get what you like, most prefer a single piece webbing style.
Wing - There are 2 general types of wings. Single tank wings and double tank wings. They both come in a variety of sizes.

If you know your going to doubles, but diving singles now get a single tank wing, a plate and harness. You may or may not need an STA depending on the wing you perchance. When you get doubles, get the doubles wing - everything else you can reuse. You will likely end up with:

- 1 SS plate + harness
- 1 AL plate + harness
- 1 single wing, ~30# lift
- 1 sta
- 1 doubles wing, ~55# lift

You can now dive any single or double rig you will likely ever dive in any type of water or environment that wouldn't be classed as commercial.

SS Plate + Single Wing + STA -> Cold water singles
AL Platte + Single Wing + STA -> Warm water singles
SS Plate + Double Wing -> AL80 Doubles
AL Plate + Double Wing -> Steel Doubles

Hope that helps.

As of RIGHT now I am leaning toward the following setup purchased in the following order:
Regs ~ ATX50 DS4 (Din) From what I can find seems to be a pretty solid regulator in most people opinion, as for an octo I haven't gotten that far yet.

Back Plate, Harness, and Wing with the SS BP and the Pro fit Harness

Dive Computer ~ Suunto Vyper

Primary Light ~ ? Not real sure on this yet - Opinions? A military friend suggested that dive knife and Light should be cheap enough that you NEVER feel obligated to go searching for it depth.

As I said before I am a total newbie and realize that the most critical piece of equipment that I need to acquire is experience. I am going to buy gear to fit the path that I see myself going down and gather my experience using the Tech gear. I plan on technical diving and recreational diving but it seems like a more efficient way to spend a little more and get gear that can go both ways. So any information/suggestions that people my have I am willing to listen to. I will have to talk to the local dive shop and see about the Regs but I know that they don't have any BP/Wings for rent and I am not sure if they sell them.
Thanks!
-Mav

I have heard nothing but praise for DeepSeaSupply's wings and service. I would suggest the Hog Harness instead of the pro fit for simplicity, but whatever floats your boat.

You can't go wrong with those regs, get an (A)TX50 or 40 for your backup/octo, then you can reuse it. Remember, that reg is just as important as your primary reg and if your serious about tech diving, you may be breathing it for 30-40-50 minutes some day in a real emergency.

Dive lights. For technical diving you want a canister form HID light with NiMH bat's. The best lights on the market right now at a reasonable price are Barry Millers from Salvo Diving (http://www.salvodiving.com/lighting). If your loaded with $ get the 9 Amp. NIMH 21 Watt HID. Somewhat less $, but still an incredibly nice light is the 4.5 AMP NIMH 10 Watt Focusable. Yes, $1000 for a flashlight sounds expensive, until you realize that your life will depend on the thing.

If you can't afford something like that for a primary get something cheap but know you'll need to replace it. I personally used a pair of Princeton Tec Tec40's for primary/backup lights until I could afford my can then they were both relegated to backup status.

For a dive knife buy a pack of betty crocker dive (steak) knives. Break the tip off them and make a sheath out of a bit of webbing. Then stick a pair of EMT Sheers in your pocket.

What does people think about this setup if being bought used? Dacor 1st stage reg (Yoke), Dacor Eagle Sport regulator and Dacor Eagle Sport octo. It's been serviced in the last 3 months.

aranea:
What does people think about this setup if being bought used? Dacor 1st stage reg (Yoke), Dacor Eagle Sport regulator and Dacor Eagle Sport octo. It's been serviced in the last 3 months.

I've only heard very bad things about this reg...including from a dive shop that sold them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom