Is there a trick to getting lead out of mold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuttyGambler

Reaction score
I purchased a 3 lb weight mold. But have not figured out an easy way to get the darn things out of the mold after they cool.

I tried taking them out while not completely hard, but then they crack. If I bang the heck out of the mold I can get them out, but takes like half an hour a piece and I'm not doing the mold any good.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks?

You could try a release agent. You can buy proper stuff or just use talc. A light dusting on the mould before you pour should help.

Are you using pure lead? Some alloys are better than others. Recycled tyre weights make good diving weights because they are a lead alloy that is a bit harder.

Whatever you do, don’t drop a hot weight in a bucket of water. I learned the hard way. To try and speed things up, I dropped a hot weight in a bucket of water and it exploded throwing hot lead and water all over the place!;-0

Back
Top Bottom