What do I need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marilopezf

Registered
Reaction score
Well first of all hi to everybody, then a just want someone to tell me what do I need to have in mind to buy a good but not very sofisticate diving computer...

Thanks!!
M!!

marilopezf:
Well first of all hi to everybody, then a just want someone to tell me what do I need to have in mind to buy a good but not very sofisticate diving computer...

Thanks!!
M!!

Hey how r ya,
I'm assuming you want an entry-level computer then? You'll probably spend in the 250-400 dollar range for one. You will want to keep in mind whether or not the comp. is nitrox compatible (most are) since most people eventually get that certification. I like the fact that mine has a visual AND audible alarm that I can set to alert me when I'm hitting a limit. Also, I 'd advise u to get a comp. that has a large, easy-to-read display because these things aren't as easy to read underwater as they are on the surface, especially if u do dark or low-vis diving. There are two types of comps. you'll mainly see: wrist-mounted and console- mounted. This doesn't make a huge difference for many but I am used to the wrist-mounted...they are more accessible. I have the Aeris Atmos 2 comp. and I love it. It's also important to read the whole manual so u can set it just the way u want it and become aware of any important things about it. Some computers may seem a little intimidating when u first see them and crack open the manual, but most dive computers on the market are great tools that just need to be studied a little before u get the knack of them. Not a big deal.
Peace from Pat.

Hi,
Apart from the technical issues of the computer itself as very well stated by sirpatty79, a thing to keep in mind is that you might have a buddy with which you usually dive. If you have one it would be a good thing to have his/her same computer since algorithms vary from brand to brand and if your's and his/her differ you'll have different NDT etc... Having to stick to the most conservative amongst the two of you you'll have a better chance to have more fun if the two comps are at least of the same brand and have the same algorithm.

If you give us a little info about what type of diving you are currently doing and what you see yourself doing in the next few years, people in similar situations can tell you what they are using and what they like/dislike about their setup.

Welcome to the board

Ken

Get a computer where you can change the battery yourself. It can get very expensive and time consuming to send it back to the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom