question about touching nudis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Nobody told them not to touch you.
Absolutely Rick. You may be a bit harassed by the critters in your pics, but 'Dopey', my groper mate, can be a real pest as well. He and his mates are so tame and comfortable around divers that they often get in your way, bump into you, cut you off and generally makes a nuisance of themselves. If he was a fellow diver you would have a few words to say after the dive. Then again, he's a dumb but lovable fish just following us around hoping we will dig out a sea urchin for him to gobble up. (On occasion, some of us do weaken and find him a sea-urchin, but that only encourages him for next time.) I swear, some of these guys will nudge you around the midriff as if to say, "I know you've got a knife there. Where's my bloody urchin??!!"

Spoon:
this may seem stupid but do you guys touch nudis and transfer them to better locations say atop a coral or something to get better angled photos? or should you just leave em there and shoot at is? just wondering bec you can get better and more dramatic pics if the angles/backgrounds better.

Spoon ol mate,
Not a good idea. Leave the little guy's sitting. you can move quicker than they can so get in a position that you can get the best shot. They are usually in thier natural area where they live and feed. So getting them doing just that makes the perfect picture every time.

The reason being most sea critters are covered in a mucus that prevents them from getting infections. Touching them wipes this off and opens up a pandoras box which could lead to infection. Yes we all want to touch and at some stage have but being wise and knowing the errors of our ways gives us a conscience after a while.

Onya mate,
Stuey2

Speaking of nidi's, getting lucky, and photos....

I was in the fortunate position of doing a Multi Level Dvie for my AOW in Phuket, and not only did I say a Nudi laying eggs (apprently somepretty rare to see" But, I then saw Nudi's mating, and them further along and up a few meters, I saw a Nudi laying eggs AND 2 Nudi's mating within inches of each other - got lots of pics, some of them even look OK :)

Oh yeah, Look, don't touch. especially the Morays and Sharks...

Z...

Zeeman:
I...saw Nudi's mating, and...I saw a Nudi laying eggs AND 2 Nudi's mating within inches of each other - got lots of pics, some of them even look OK.
Zeeman,
You can't tease us with stuff like that without showing the pics. Please post. BTW, how do nudis get to mate without getting within inches of each other? Or was it two pairs in a group thing?

A nudi laying eggs AND two nudis mating - 3 nudies total :)

Will post pics tomorrow :)

Z...

It seems that people in general don't want to mess with critters in the sea. At least I don't. Most nudis and other animals are covered with a protecting layer of grease (not the correct term mind my english :)). Wiping that off could kill the critter as it gets infected a lot more easily. I've heard of mantas dying after being ridden on (not sure if it's only a rumor though). So keep your hands to yourself and wait for the moneyshot.

what I can't put miniature sombreros and moustaches on my nudis and tie him to a seahorse for that staged shot?

i can't believe some of the comments or justifications for touching, there is no unless absolutely necessary, if you can't get the shot wait, there is always a next time, but not if you touch and kill it.

i can with hand on my heart say i have never moved a critter or animal once!

for those that have admitted to it you get zero respect from me, and was this not a fmaily site you would be called more than fools and idiots!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom