Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the Great Lakes a LOT, and since there's so few women doing so my dive buddies are typically men. Most guys I hang out with are just great. The ones that aren't, I don't dive with.

My husband doesn't mind me hanging out with the boys and I make sure to befriend the wives, so it's usually not a big hairy deal.

I screen my buddies or dive with the same people time & time again - I won't do a challenging dive with someone I don't know (due to a bad experience) .

Hey guys, one thing that's a bit annoying - don't offer to carry my doubles & then give me crap if I refuse. I appreciate the offer, and sometimes I'll take you up on it, but the way I figure it, if I can't carry them I shouldn't be diving them.

And guess what? I'm a geek too. :D

Gidds:
All males over the age of 15 who are not my male relatives, coworkers, or Buddhist monks are considored evil and creepy until proven innocent...ok not innocent but safe company at least :wink:

Gidds,
You have broken my heart. Can i still come diving anyway
Stuey2

nitroxbabe:
Hey guys, one thing that's a bit annoying - don't offer to carry my doubles & then give me crap if I refuse.
Can they give you crap if you refuse to carry theirs?:D

Ok, I'll bite, Hank.

I'm a girl & I dive cold water. I've never dove warm. Yeah, I'm a bit of a gear junky, but that's only because I've been involved in the sport for a while & I now work in the industry, so that I "get it" now. Yes cold water diving is more gear intensive. But it's not all murky quarries. It can be some of the best salt water diving in the world. Healthy environment, large animal encounters (seals, sharks, whales, octos, etc), wrecks (active artificial reef society & a rugged coastline), affordability, drifts, etc, etc...

It's tougher up here, yes... 30lbs is a lot different than 6lbs of weight. But you get accustomed to it. And I've met & dove with plenty other ladies that are enthusiastic about local diving. I do dive primarily with men when I dive for fun (OW classes seem to be 50/50) because there are more male dive professionals. And I tend to dive quite exclusively with a few buddies that I get along well in & out of the water with. They never doubt that I can keep up with them. In fact, I know they respect the women that do actively dive around here.

So... the morals are: Women can be gear-heads too. Women can dive spectacular cold-water environments, too. And men can make good dive buddies, believe it or not.

nessum:
So... the morals are: Women can be gear-heads too. Women can dive spectacular cold-water environments, too. .

Thinking about the 4 sets of doubles - 2 AL80s - 2 AL40s - 4 wings - 2 backplates - and pile of other stuff --

Yes -- I think you are right! :D

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
Thinking about the 4 sets of doubles - 2 AL80s - 2 AL40s - 4 wings - 2 backplates - and pile of other stuff --

Yes -- I think you are right! :D

Kimber
Yea...but do you have a boat :wink:

JeffG:
Yea...but do you have a boat :wink:

Naw -- I am smarter than that!

Boat - hole in the water you throw money into!

Let other people have the boats and dive off of them. (-:

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
Naw -- I am smarter than that!

Boat - hole in the water you throw money into!

Let other people have the boats and dive off of them. (-:

Kimber
Yea OK...but did you end up buying that gas guzzling Avalanche?

JeffG:
Yea OK...but did you end up buying that gas guzzling Avalanche?

Ha ha ha - you remember that. I did -- and I :07: my truck!!! And I say that over and over and over when I am at the gas station too!

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
Ha ha ha - you remember that. I did -- and I :07: my truck!!! And I say that over and over and over when I am at the gas station too!

Kimber
You are a gear head. :wink:

I broke down and got rid of my Grand Cherokee and bought a PT Cruiser. It has the same amount of space for gear, but now I have to go buy some fuzzy dice for my rear view mirror :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom