Apollo Bio-Tank Lock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cary99:
I just got back from a week of diving Kona with the Apollo bio-tank lock. It worked perfectly. Easy to slip on the tanks, easy to tighten closed.

So err just link a cam strap then.

I bought one prior to an extended dive trip. It ended up being more of a headache then a problem solver. I had to re-adjust the webbing after each dive. Either the webbing was slipping after the dive or it was stretching during the dive. Either way, 50 dives and I still had to reset the thing between every dive so in the end it wasn't much of an improvement over fussing with a standard tank band.

The one time I didn't re-adjust the webbing, I had the tank separate from my BC. At 60 feet of depth, it wasn't a cool thing to suddenly find my tank floating above my head. My dive buddy and I got it sorted out.

I'll continue to use it now that I have it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It just doesn't solve anything or add any convenience. If you get it, make sure to re-adjust the webbing after every dive.

Cathan:
I bought one prior to an extended dive trip. It ended up being more of a headache then a problem solver. I had to re-adjust the webbing after each dive. Either the webbing was slipping after the dive or it was stretching during the dive. Either way, 50 dives and I still had to reset the thing between every dive so in the end it wasn't much of an improvement over fussing with a standard tank band.

The one time I didn't re-adjust the webbing, I had the tank separate from my BC. At 60 feet of depth, it wasn't a cool thing to suddenly find my tank floating above my head. My dive buddy and I got it sorted out.

I'll continue to use it now that I have it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It just doesn't solve anything or add any convenience. If you get it, make sure to re-adjust the webbing after every dive.

Cathan: You should not have to adjust the webbing after every dive. I don't know exactly what is wrong but we would like to fix whatever it is. You can call us or send us e-mail and we will help resolve your problem. We get lots of good feedback on the bio-tank lock. The only problem we have seen is divers that over tighten the tank lock screw. Even at 50% torqued the bio-tank lock still is 5X tighter than the traditional cam lock. The english manual for the bio-tank lock is @
www.apollosportsusa.com/Service/Manuals.htm

mdb
www.diveapollo.com
E-mail: apollous@mac.com

I have had the Bio-Lock for 14 dives, and loved it for 12 of them. The two dives that I had problems on were my own fault, I had been using the impressions left on my Pressed Steel 100 (Isn't that a wonderful thread!!) with no problems, and got fancy, and at home, out of water, used a marker to mark the tank and was only off by about 6 inches (I still can't figure that one out). Once I went back to the mark left by the webbing, no problem. I have had no problem with tightening, but I have had to use a screwdriver (at home) or the blunt edge of my knife to "break apart" the lock to have enough slack (after loosening the lock screw) to remove my BC. I have dived it dry (not wetting the strap) and wet and not noticed a difference. When that sucker is tightened, it is tightened!!

OldmanandtheC:
I have had the Bio-Lock for 14 dives, and loved it for 12 of them. The two dives that I had problems on were my own fault, I had been using the impressions left on my Pressed Steel 100 (Isn't that a wonderful thread!!) with no problems, and got fancy, and at home, out of water, used a marker to mark the tank and was only off by about 6 inches (I still can't figure that one out). Once I went back to the mark left by the webbing, no problem. I have had no problem with tightening, but I have had to use a screwdriver (at home) or the blunt edge of my knife to "break apart" the lock to have enough slack (after loosening the lock screw) to remove my BC. I have dived it dry (not wetting the strap) and wet and not noticed a difference. When that sucker is tightened, it is tightened!!

Leave at least 1/4"-1/2" gap between the buckles on your bio-tank lock and no more need for a screwdriver or the blunt edge of your knife. The bio-tank lock adjusts while you dive. You do not need to totally tighten the screw on the surface. Adjust the straps for your tank size, keep that interval and you should have a very secure tank lock w/o a problem.

mdb
www.diveapollo.com
E-mail: apollous@mac.com

Okey dokey. I was looking a ruler on my desk, and noticed that what I thought was a 1/4 inch was closer to an 1/8 inch. I'll open up the gap a bit and see. Thanks for the response, I really love the lock.

OldmanandtheC:
Okey dokey. I was looking a ruler on my desk, and noticed that what I thought was a 1/4 inch was closer to an 1/8 inch. I'll open up the gap a bit and see. Thanks for the response, I really love the lock.

OldmanandtheC: also please rinse the salt off your bio-tank lock after a good weekend/week of diving. Salt build up and overtightening are the only problems we have seen after several thousand or more sold.

mdb
www.diveapollo.com
e-mail: apollous@mac.com

I started this thread, and this is an update for those doing research on the topic. I've now added another 60 dives using the bio-tank lock. My conclusion is that it works very well. I originally bought it because I had cut or banged my knuckles a few times wrestling down my old fashioned tank strap, especially getting set up for the 2nd dive on a rocking boat. When set up right, this product is very easy to use. No more wrestling or straining to lock up your tank.

The keys to proper use are:

1. When you get to the dive shop or boat, take a few minutes to set up the straps for the tanks you will be using. I dive on vacations, so each dive shop where I'll dive for a few days uses its own tanks. Some use aluminum 80's, other steel 100's, etc. Wet the strap, then adjust it for the tanks for the days or week you'll be there. I admit I sometimes have to make 2 or 3 attempts to get them "just right."

2. Tighten to within 1/8 to 1/4 inch (the gap between the two halves of the strap).

3. Rinse your BCD in fresh water after a day of diving. You would do this anyway, so the bio-tank lock comes along for the ride. Jiggle the locks a little to ensure the water gets the salt off.

4. After a long dive trip, run the bio-tank lock under hot water to ensure as much salt comes off as possible.

For those who don't want to use this product, fine. It's a personal choice, and I'm not claiming that this product is "better" than traditional straps for everyone. I simply prefer it.

Have fun, kids, and be safe.

FYI, my neighbor is a 45 yr old lady with rheumatoid arthritis in her hands. She cannot easily use a cam lock. Upon advice from our LDS, she bought the Apollo Bio-Tank Lock that requires very little finger pressure to tighten the tank strap properly. I bought one for my wife. Both women like the the product a lot. The product performs as promised by the advertising.

The only problem the women have experienced has been loosening of the strap associated with swapping tanks. On a recent dive trip, I had to re-adjust the strap several times across the 1 wk of diving in order be able to keep the right tension. Some form of slippage occurred, although I am not exactly sure when or why other than to say it did not occur once the strap was tightened.

I sent a email to Apollo indicating the problem and received a "Thanks for the info" acknowledgment.

The Bio-Tank Lock works as advertised, but I wish the strap that comes with it were made of stiffer webbing. Maybe that would also prevent the slippage some of us have experienced.

Back
Top Bottom