My new Used C-5050 what Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a c-5050. Wow I think I am going to love this camera. Anyway, I have had great luck with my PT-016 housing and plan to get the PT-015 housing for this camera and would like to use a single strobe setup. Some suggestions of strobes that will work with the housing would be greatly appreciated.

BTW. Already my favorite thing about this camera is that it can use AA batteries. I really hate rechargeables.

Thanks
Judy

Judy,

You will find a "stobe finder" section over on digitaldiver.net

I shoot a 5050/PT-015 and Ikelite DS-125 strobes with the EV controller. You can view these at ikelite.com

You will want to get AA NiMH rechargeable batteries for your camera. Ordinary AA batteries can't keep up - useful in an emergency, but not for daily work. Maha 2300 mAH NiMHs are very good.

camera600.jpg

I use an Inon D-180 with my C-5050/PT-15. It connects via a fiber optic cable.

Another vote here for Inon D-180 and fibre optic cable.

I also use to D180 but it has been discontined and the D2000 has taken it's place.
I can promice you, you will want to get some rechargeable NiMh batteries. I suggest at least 3 sets per devise (3 for the camera and 3 for the strobe) and 2 chargers. I prefer the mid speed chargers -1 to 3 hr type. The camera eats standard AA batteries like candy and will not last me for 1 dive. I need batteries that can give me at least 3 hrs of continous use (about 2 normal dives for me). Get the largest capacity you can find. At least 2300 mHr but 2500 mHr if you can find them. My routine is to have a charged set in the camera/strobe, carry a charged spare set and have the 3rd in the chargers charging. I rotate them every other dive. Camera set goes into the charger, spare set into the camera and the charger set into my spare equipment.

While I am on accessories, you will most likely want more storage media. I have just found 1GB compact flash for around $55 several places on the web.

another for the INON used to be the 180 but now they have the 200 some improvments still fiber optic cable connected .

jlyle:
Judy,

You will find a "stobe finder" section over on digitaldiver.net

I shoot a 5050/PT-015 and Ikelite DS-125 strobes with the EV controller. You can view these at ikelite.com

You will want to get AA NiMH rechargeable batteries for your camera. Ordinary AA batteries can't keep up - useful in an emergency, but not for daily work. Maha 2300 mAH NiMHs are very good.

you can get rechargable AA Lions now which are even better!

I use the Sea & Sea YS-90DX. It uses AA batteries and has good adjustments if you want to shoot manually. I've recently switched to a TTL adaptor produced by
http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/index.htm. (Site is in German but e-mails in English are answered in English.) It works well and I am happy. Having said this, if I had to do it again, I would go with the Ikelite housing with built in ttl and the DS125.

I think you'll love the camera too. In fact, I liked mine so much that I bought a backup and another PT-015 housing.

I use 2300MHA NiMH batteries and they last at least 2 dives. I've never done 3 consecutive dives so I don't know if they'll last for 3.

I also use the Inon D-2000 strobe, fired by optical cable. All this stuff works much better than my abilities to make it work.

10X:
.... All this stuff works much better than my abilities to make it work.

I'm afraid I'll have the same problem. I tried along time ago to understand apertures and f-stops but never did get the hang of it. ISO values made sense but I don't know how that applies with digital. I upgraded to learn and also so I could add a stobe. With my current camera I shoot without flash then doctor since it won't take a strobe.

Back
Top Bottom