Nubble on Columbus Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a heads up that Columbus Day (10/10) is recognized as a NO dive holiday at Nubble per the chief of police. Skindiving is included in the restriction.

Pete

?

Nubble is closed to divers on Sundays and on holidays so that the tourists can have places to park. Seems fair enough since it IS a big tourist site. The tourists probably average less than 5 minutes per visit (some don't even get out of their cars) while we divers probably average 3-4 hours per visit.

It's time to hold a sit in while in full gear so that they won't be able to drag us away when the cops come. It sounds downright unconstitutional to me! Even if it isn't it's similar to saying only mothers with children may visit the municipal park on Sun. while teenagers and old people are forbidden :rolleyes:

I gotta say this sounds a bit stoopid.

Aren't divers tourists?

Don't divers bring money into the local area?

Don't divers enjoy the facility?

Do divers damage the area more than a bunch of stop-in tourists with McDonalds bags?

Are non-diver 'residents' barred from the site too?

what happened to being good neighbors? share n' share alike. It's open to divers 6 days a week, that sounds good to me

Simon L:
I gotta say this sounds a bit stoopid.

Aren't divers tourists?

Don't divers bring money into the local area?
Well we do to some extent. We may eat at Fox's the resturant adjacent to the park or even hit Brown's ice cream on the way out. I'm not sure how many divers stop to hang out in the village and spend real money. The local dive shop is long gone so there's not too much gear buisness to do except perhaps a few odds and ends at the surf shop.

Meanwhile keeping the park as an accessible location affords many many more stop and go guests. As mentioned some just stop to gaze, maybe eat a sandwich or snap a picture or two and are on their way.

Simon L:
Don't divers enjoy the facility?

Do divers damage the area more than a bunch of stop-in tourists with McDonalds bags?
Thre's not a lot of that in York. The town has effectively banned fast food ang big box stores. I know that's besides then point but it's an interesting piece of the culture.
Simon L:
Are non-diver 'residents' barred from the site too?

All visitors may linger as long as they like. One story is that since it is said that Cape Nedick light is the most photographed lighthouse there is they wanted one day when the landscape would be free of dive gear and our trappings.

It is also said that there were restrictions going back to the days when many painters would be doing hand paintings of the light. That dosen't make too much sense since a painter could easily ignore the gear and when painting was the dominant format (pre photography) there were no scuba divers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it either but being from the region I can understand some of the thinking.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom