Encouragement for diving students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just completed my OW in Lake Jocassee on 9-17-05. It was a L-O-N-G road for me. My first dive lesson was the most traumatic experience of my life. :crying: I'm sure onlookers thought it to be hilarious, as I spent much of my time falling over on my back, regulator spit out, mask off, and arms and legs wildly swinging. I had never even snorkeled before, and I had some MAJOR issues to deal with regarding breathing underwater. I told my instructor there wasn't a THING about this that I liked, and I left feeling discouraged and defeated (he told me I was my own worst enemy). BUT . . . I came home - and after a few days of licking my wounds, I was determined to lick this fear -- so I wore my mask around the house to get used to having my nose covered. I snorkeled in a pool (I almost gave up then, too, but I forced myself to keep my face in the water for 15-20 minutes). I snorkeled in the lake once, too. My instructor and I met 2 1/2 months later at a pool, and then it just clicked! I knocked out all 5 confined dives in about 3 hours - then we did my first 2 OW dives the next day, followed by 2 other dives on Sunday - one of which to a depth of 60 feet to see the Chinese Junk in Lake Jocassee. IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE! I just want to encourage all of you who are having fear and anxiety about - well, drowning :10: I know everyone tells you to relax (yeah, right), but really, just take your time - go at YOUR pace - and it will come IF you want to do it badly enough. My instructor was Bill Routh of Off the Wall Diving and I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone in the area. He's very thorough and patient, and I am confident that I am well-trained. On my first OW dive, he suggested we just go swimming. Before I knew it, I was on a dive platform at 37 feet. I had no idea we were that deep (that would have freaked me out if he had told me on the surface that we were going to 37 feet for the first time). When we surfaced, I couldn't believe my depth gauge. That dive was effortless -- and I really enjoyed seeing the big bass that swam by :fish: If any of you are experiencing difficulty, take heart. If I can do it, you can do it. I'm going again next weekend . . . can't wait!

Congratulations on sticking with it. I'm a firm beliver that getting out there and going skin-diving was the best hting you could do for yourself. Was this at your instructors suggestion?

Skin-diving is glossed over all to often and is crucial to someone who either has not done it before or who is not a true natural. Keep it up it will do wonders for your air consumption and gives you something to do when you can't find a buddy.

Pete

Jocasseegirl:
Yes, Bill said that practicing snorkeling was my "homework." If I had not gotten comfortable with that, I never would have been able to scuba.

It sounds like Bill turned out to be a good instructor. Perhaps he'll make sure future students are comfortable with skin-diving before they get near compressed air. Have fun and dive safe.

Pete

Congratulations, "Cassee" !!!! :yelclap:

I hope some of us "Lake Lanier Looney Birds" will get the chance to dive with you soon.

Hang tough . . .!!!

the Kraken

Congratulations J-Girl

My wife had a similar experience. She was fine in the pool but she freaked in the OW. Our instructor made her get back underwater and refused to let her quit. It worked out for the best, and now she loves it. Now I need to convince her to take AOW and try diving deep.

Congratulations on facing your fears and conquering the challenge! I too had a lot of trouble learning, our class included 4 hours of snorkeling before we ever got on scuba and although that helped I still freaked out at every little thing. I had to do an extra day of check-out dives because my instructor said she would not certify me until I was comfortable in the water. I managed to fake my way through the comfort on the extra day :) If you had told me 12 years ago that I would be teaching the course I would have told you that you were crazy. Here I stand with 3 years of teaching under my belt and my favorite students are the ones like you, uncomfortable but determined. Your experience can be a great help to others and as you gain more dive experience you should think about working your way up through the certification ranks and becoming a divemaster or instructor yourself. Even if you are just assisting classes as a DM you can have a positive effect on apprehensive divers since you know how it feels to be scared. It's harder for people who haven't "been there" to relate to the nervous student in a believable manner (it can be done though) but when you have your own battle stories, as you do, nervous students tend to relax faster.

Congratulations again on your accomplishment :biggrin: Hope to see you in the water sometime!
Ber :lilbunny:

...and I mean that. I can empathize with you whole heartedly. I tried getting OW certed in 2002 and was not able to get past some simple skills (one in particular was swapping snorkel and reg). I tried to cert again this year and could not get down to the group, I could not equalize my ears and was in pain. In hindsight, I felt rushed and pressured to get down since I was one of the last ones going down that morning. The next OW session, I had a panic attack. I just could not get myself calmed down. I wish the dive instructors had let me skin dive, it might have calmed me down, but they did not offer (or I did not hear them offer it). I finally got some one-on-one and what was the first skill he asked me to do on the surface? The snorkel/reg swap! :11: But, I put my head down and did it, without a problem. We descended to the platform (took my 5 minutes to descend twenty feet, but the DI was patient) and then swam around. OMG, this is fun! :D I still tensed up when demonstrating skills, but did the skills fine when they needed to be done without effort. When we surfaced after the forth OW dive and he said I was certified, I let out the loudest yippee I've done in a long time. I've not felt that good about myself and that accomplishment in a LONG time.

What was funny (in my mind) was when we dove in Cozumel, our first ocean dive, I had a problem with my BC when at depth. I stopped, loosened the BC enough to examine it and identify the problem, attempted to fix it, and move ond. I did not freak out and felt at ease doing what needed to be done. When I told me DI (upon my return), he said most "in experienced" divers would have panicked or would have calld the dive.

Good luck in your diving. I'm glad to see you stuck through it. My DI said he knew I could get through it; most people who were stubborn like me to make it.

Peace,

Bear

Thanks for all the words of congratulations and support! When we got back to the dock, I could tell I was being welcomed into a special brotherhood:) Other divers who knew how I had struggled in the beginning were there to clap and cheer! Come on down to Jocassee, y'all . . . there's a lot to see there. Come see the skeleton with the regulator in his mouth -- the 40 marching flamingos -- the cemetery (I'm not ready for that one yet - 138 foot dive) -- the Chinese Junk -- I'm told there is a really big airplane wing there now, too. There is a walk-in ramp designated just for divers. The water is very clear and green (compared to most lakes). The mountains are beautiful! Hope to meet some of you there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom