gear configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think #18 nylon cord, aka cave line, is to strong to be a breakaway line. If I remember correctly it has a breaking strength of about 150lbs. Hum dont think I could break it without dragging you all over the ocean. The reason you use cave line on tying on a SPG or other snaplinks is you can CUT it. I dont even trust a O-ring to be very breakaway and use a small velcro loop. Seem to work for me and easy to replace or make.

cheers

Hmmmmmmmm.... cutting away an HP SPG....
Sounds like a scary proposition... just don't slip with that knife.
But the velcro strip sounds like it might be a great idea! How does that hold up with the dangling snaplink though? Does it slide down the hose with the weight of the snaplink?

That's why I use bicycle innertube on all my bolt snap attachments (except my scout lights). Pull to break.

Roak

Just finished my DIRF course last weekend and here is what they told us and why.

Long hose does not need to be breakaway, however you should be able to cut the attachment. SPG should be breakaway. The reasoning was simply. You only ever donate the reg in your mouth so no one should be taking your primary if it is clipped off. If you need to use the primary and cant unclip it you can see it and thus cut the line or zip tie without cutting the hose. If your spg get entanled you need to be able to break it. You can not see it and depending on how and where you get tangled you may have trouble reaching it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom