Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
For $35, I didn't see it as too big of an investment to make for taking OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties that I would have already taken anyways, and logging 50 dives. At the very least, what I see this card establishing on sight is that you have at least 50 dives logged and have dove in various conditions.

That said, I am not completely enamored with PADI, and am currently seeking to diversify my training through multi-agency training. Any suggestions welcome...

My printed Bachelors Degree in a frame was $40. Considering the investment and my goal of reaching it, the $40 was worthwhile.

Set your own goals and celebrate your own milestones, however relative they may be to someone else who does not share your enthusiasm.

I don't think any agency has done well with the whole concept of Master Diver though. There is nothing you can "do" with it except feel good about reaching it as a goal. If they offered some sort of programs available only to Master Divers they would have a lot more interest. They would also have more interest if the certification was more in line with the concept of "Master", in terms of level of skill, found in other industries.

--Matt

ChrisA:
If one of the specialties is nitrox it would be listed on the Master Diver card. Nitrox is the only specialty c-card anyone would ever ask to see so PADI will print "nitrox" on your other cards just so you never have to cary around more then one card
Do they do that automatically (would be nice) or do you have to send for a replacement Master Diver card to get it? On OW and AOW I thought they only did it on replacement cards (in fact, I have one of the replacement cards that says Nitrox.)

matt_unique:
I don't think any agency has done well with the whole concept of Master Diver though. There is nothing you can "do" with it except feel good about reaching it as a goal. If they offered some sort of programs available only to Master Divers they would have a lot more interest
What about DiveCon (SSI)? In effect you need to be a Master Diver to start the training. Aren't there similar requirements for the other agencies as well?

matt_unique:
NAUI has a Master Diver course but it involves less training and has fewer requirements compared to the PADI Master Diver program.
--Matt

Apples and oranges.
You could certainly make the case that the NAUI course has less "training" because fewer dives are required, 8 vs. 5 specs and rescue, but the NAUI course has a much more rigorous academic component. It covers physics, physiology, environment, safety, equipment, to name a few. I'd go out on a limb and say that not many PADI Master Diver card holders could pass the test that is required in this course.
It's a different course with the same name.

The Kraken:
Some people like to brag . . . some people like to dive.

Just my opinion.

the K

I put myself in the category of liking to dive rather than collect certs for the sake of it. Dont see any harm in people doing that though. I would agree that the certs are more important than the overall master diver qual.

Damselfish:
Do they do that automatically (would be nice) or do you have to send for a replacement Master Diver card to get it? On OW and AOW I thought they only did it on replacement cards (in fact, I have one of the replacement cards that says Nitrox.)

I know they don't do it automatically, since mine does not list my nitrox...and I was told by a PADI rep that they don't do it at all. If any of you can tell me what I need to do to get a card that lists MSD and Nitrox, that would be valuable to me, as it would establish AOW, Rescue, EANx, and 50 logged all at in one card.

MichaelBaranows:
I am getting the Master Diver rather than the AOW cause they are basically the same thing but take more dives and have Rescue.

Atleast that is the way that I understand them.

If you are talking about PADI, AOW is a prerequisite for Rescue, and both are prerequisites for MSD.

If you are talking about NAUI or another agency, I can't speak to that...yet....

They should make it a a better program just to have basic certification and from there you could go and apply for and receive actual "specialty" training for things like nitrox and sport a card for this. I don't see the point of all this "specialty" certification and the "advanced" dive card money pit.

As a responsible diver it is training (mostly practice and study combination) that make you a better diver. The card means very little if nothing at all. The most important card is the initial training card, after that.....what ever.

How can a person be a "specialized" wreck diver with 5 dives??? or Specialized underwater photographer after 5 camera dives. It's like "drysuit specialty" ??? practice practice practice..........card.......who cares! What you are like underwater is not reflected on the face of a plastic card.....................

Back
Top Bottom