DIR-F Lite - "Essentials of Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Well..... I'm not sure if the consumer you're describing is typical but the basic image rings a bell. This is a nice post because it shows that not only instructors and agencies are caught up in the vicious circle but also consumers.

Just yesterday I was sitting in a meeting with a bunch of people and we were talking about buying a product from an external agency. The agency offered us 4 alternatives, which you could call "bronze" "silver" "gold" and "diamond". Bronze was useless, and diamond was ridiculous but when the moment to buy arrived one of my colleagues said "I want the Gold. I want it tomorrow and I want it for free".

Naturally everyone had to laugh but the principle is the same. He's just a consumer. He wants a high quality product without waiting and without paying. Looks like the same things apply in many areas of life.

So who is at fault? The consumer for setting the bar for buying so high or the sales(person) for setting the bar for selling so low..... There is definitely a push-and-pull happening here and you can't just blame the instructors or the agency for creating the problem. Maybe the agency and certainly many instructors have gone through their knees but the issue was already out there.

Clearly, in the recreational sports market, those who sell are more vulnerable than those who buy.

R..

All pretty much true. Some combination of cost, delivery and quality is what a customer will settle for.

Who is the real customer of the agency? The diver? I don't think so. It's the shop and the instructors. If one agency pisses off a shop they can switch to another. An agencies courses are designed to be products that the agencies first tear customer (the shop) will buy and can sell. Is offering the customer a combination of cost, delivery and quality that they will accept wrong? Say it is the minimum allowed by standards. Say I think it's really lousy diving. No, I guess it isn't wrong. I do think there are a few people hurt every year who shouldn't be but it sin't some kind of public crisis that's causing an outcry. Most will survive it and be happy little trench diggers. Though it can be a problem for those who really want to learn to dive and think they're being taught. Those are some of the ones who end up in a DIRF. LOL

MikeFerrara:
It sounds like you're assuming that there's something wrong with an instructor who teaches stricktly to the standards. Is that fair?

Touché. :)

That's true. I think if you don't exceed standards in certain ways by, for example, putting focus on what I call the 90% items (buoyancy control, finning, buddy contact, communication and a certain degree of task loading combined with neutral swimming) that you haven't really created a diver..... Oddly, if you only teach to the letter of the standards, the 90% items are the things the student is left to learn by experience. The flip side of this is that there is time enough to do it all if you teach efficiently.

There is also a distinction to be made between the letter of the standards and the intent of the standards. The letter of the standards might say that they need to hover twice for 30 seconds but the *reason* they want that doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's up to the instructor to realize that and to put hovering in context. For example, by making them swim and stop to solve a problem without losing buoyancy control and then move on....

What's wrong with only providing the minimum permitted by standards? Aren't the standards good enough? If there's something else that should really be taught, then why not add it to the standards so you can be certain that every one is teaching it?

Well....standards don't address the 90% items except in a broad sense that leaves lazy instructors with too much wiggle room. Someone who is certified to dive and hasn't spent more than 60 seconds neutral during the whole course will have trouble... This stands to reason but strictly speaking that's all the time a student *needs* to spend neutral to get a C card. No instructor I know would accept that or certify a student who couldn't swim neutrally buoyant.

I also know how I was trained and how I was trained to teach.

There are two sides to this coin too. Efficiency of teaching and effectiveness. I think it's good to learn how to teach efficiently. In the Netherlands there is another organisation that, until recently, was spending 6 months in a pool before taking students to OW. I think, even not being an instructor, that I could teach in 12 weeks what these instructors were teaching in 26. Probably most of our instructors could do it in much less time than I would need..... That's efficiency. Not wasting time. PADI is exceedingly good at this. The materials are well structured and the order of presentation is mastered to maximize retention in a minimum of time. Efficiency.

Effectiveness is using that time to do the right thing. Effectiveness is making a diver out of someone. Teaching the right things to the right level. Mastering mask clearing, mastering the 90% items, getting them to the point where they will show calm deliberate action when faced with problems..... When you can do that you're an effective instructor.

If these two things are in a weigh scale then most PADI instructors I know have tilted scales towards efficiency and are constantly seeking a balance that creates some stress. They usually, after becoming more experienced, end up changing their expectations (re-baselining) so they can feel good about their results.

To be an outstanding instructor you need to have the scales balanced. Walter's technique for teaching mask clearing, for example, is both effective and efficient. JBD's way of teaching neutral swimming also. There are many examples of instructors who have found a balance in some if not all of the skills + the 90% items.

I know first hand what instructors are tested on and what level of mastery they must demonstrate in two different agencies.

Well, here you have me at a disadvantage. I only a DM with an opinion. I guess you could say that I only get to train instructors after they've been certified.... :D LOL

R..

This stands to reason but strictly speaking that's all the time a student *needs* to spend neutral to get a C card. No instructor I know would accept that or certify a student who couldn't swim neutrally buoyant.

I still remember the first dive where I achieved neutral buoyancy. It was the third dive of my ADVANCED open water class. Up to that time, I had been constantly negative and swimming myself up. If I ever got neutral, it was for a few seconds at a time.

My wife had difficulty with bouyancy control during her PADI class, and trim was not even a subject. It took us a few real dives before she started leveling out -only bc I explained it to her, she was unaware that she should be doing anything other than cranking along at a 45 degree heads-up angle- & it's something she still needs to work on. But she only has 17 or 18 dives, it takes time to get better.

Wayward Son:
was unaware that she should be doing anything other than cranking along at a 45 degree heads-up angle- & it's something she still needs to work on. But she only has 17 or 18 dives, it takes time to get better.
No kidding eh? I wish we all would have learned this from the start!

Now I know why I stay away from some of these topics... Having to scan through 8 pages of "whose agency is better" is quite the turn off.

FWIW, I am looking into taking this very course in Monterey this month. What interests me the most is that this is a course intended to "introduce" someone to the DIR approach, without financially committing them to it. I could care less whether or not I can add the letters "DIR" to my shingle after I take the course, the idea is to see what it's all about and hopefully learn a few things. From there, if I so chose, I can then sign up for the DIR-F and continue on. To say such a "light" course is "not DIR" and infer that it is therefore less than worthy is totally missing the boat (so to speak).

My goal is to learn to be a better diver. If you want to blast me for what I didn't learn once before when I was starting out, go ahead. (Chances are good that I won't bother reading it or getting too offended by your opinions.)

Opinions will vary as to what this course will achieve. But I promise not to infer that I know anything about diving when I speak in one of these DIR forums. Geeze!

This is great news (yeah, all 100+ posts of it) and is the kind of thing that was being discussed over a year ago. Let's call it DIR without the dress code, but "Essentials of Diving" is probably OK, too.

-Rob

Back
Top Bottom