Plz help Mexico or Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my fiance and I are wanting to go on a trip for about four days. My sister will be coming along (she doesn't dive). Anyay, I am not sure which place to choose. Additionally if anyone knows of a respectable dive place that would be nice to know. Thanks a million.

Hi Missdirected,
Since you are in Tampa, Cancun is a hop skip and a jump away for you. Plenty of good diving and plenty of non-diving activity.

btw and welcome to ScubaBoard.

Tampa has direct flights to Grand Cayman via Cayman Air so you can get here in about an hour... right next door :) Beautiful diving and stuff to do topside for your sister. Not to mention beautiful 7 Mile Beach to hang out on.
You can do a search here on the forum at the top of the page on recommended dive ops in Grand Cayman and Mexico.

Missdirected:
my fiance and I are wanting to go on a trip for about four days. My sister will be coming along (she doesn't dive). Anyay, I am not sure which place to choose. Additionally if anyone knows of a respectable dive place that would be nice to know. Thanks a million.

both Cozumel and Cayman Islands are great places to dive. There's enough stuff (at least on Grand Cayman) for non divers too. However, there's a big difference in cost as the Cayman Islands are one of the more expensive places to go to in the Caribbean.

Missdirected:

If you're serious about diving, Cancun is not the place to go in Mexico. Better to consider staying in cozumel. The Occidental resort (the new one not the Allegro) is really nice. Food is decent andaccomodations excelent. Nice beach and pools for your sister. Not much to do in town during the day for her except a bit of shopping, but the resort is great. You can do your diving there , very convenient and as part of a package.

Grand Cayman migt be about the same in terms of acivities for your sister, but I think Cozumel is more fun (night life if you want it), and is easy to get to from Tampa.
I think the best Cayman diving is in Little Cayman but don't know what the recent storms have done . You'd better check about Hurricane damage both in mexico and Caymans. I know parts of both areas got hit this past summer by hurricanes.\\Good luck. Jackbymiami

Missdirected:
I have been to both a few times. The diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman is exceptional. As previously stated, It is much more expensive in GCI when it comes to topside activities. I think a can of beer at happy hour was about $5 each. We decided to buy it by the case at the liquor store and it was about $45. Food is also more than Mexico on the whole. The dive operators and boats are generally larger and better in GCI than Mexico. I am sure there are exceptions. I am leaving for Mexico friday to dive the Cenotes. If you decide to go to GCI I highly recommmend Ocean Frontiers. Those guys and girls are incredible. I have been diving since 1979 and no one else comes close. Make sure to dive Turtle Reef at GCI or Palancar in Cozumel. You can't lose either way. Heads you win, Tails you win!:10:

Back
Top Bottom