Yucky Hair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I've never really spent a lot of time in saltwater but the last couple of days have made my hair totally yucky. To compound the yucky issue my hair is striaght, fine, and color treated. Any anti-yucky-ocean-hair strategies?

My hair is not color treated but it is very fine. It gets yucky after diving, too- unless I bring some leave-in conditioner along. Normally a good fresh water rinse, followed by some Infusium, does the trick. Even when there is no fresh water available, I put the conditioner in and it helps with the tangles and the texture.

fsudiver:
My hair is not color treated but it is very fine. It gets yucky after diving, too- unless I bring some leave-in conditioner along. Normally a good fresh water rinse, followed by some Infusium, does the trick. Even when there is no fresh water available, I put the conditioner in and it helps with the tangles and the texture.

condition, condition, condition... If you are worried abt the sun, wear a hankerchief over your head, peasant like style to protect from the sun and salt water!

Gidds:
I've never really spent a lot of time in saltwater but the last couple of days have made my hair totally yucky. To compound the yucky issue my hair is striaght, fine, and color treated. Any anti-yucky-ocean-hair strategies?

I just wear a baseball cap and shower after we're done. .... :)

R..

Just to essentially bathe it in conditioner, doing something like an oil treatment every so often to try to keep things healthy.

Time before last when I went to the hairdresser though, he nearly had a stroke. Not only had I over treated my own hair (tried to put in highlights, but sort of got the Heather Locklear look instead), combined with the repeated ocean exposure, so he just looked at me, sighed and said "So how much are you willing to lose?"

I've been a bit better since then though.

Gidds:

Paul Mitchell Hair Repair Treatment in the tube. I buy mine at the salon ($12, but lasts a long time). Use a small amount after shampooing the salty mess out of your hair. I have similar hair and follow that with a root-boosting mousse applied to the roots and a small dab of Flat Out Shine Gel and blow dry with a brush. Hair looks great even after successive days of diving.

For color protection, I use Pureology Coulormax spray on conditioner before diving. It's expensive, but not as expensive as having my hair colored and lasts a long time. I also wear a baseball cap on the boat and a lycra hood while diving.

I tried this last time and it worked like a charm on tangles. (I too have fine, straight color treated tangle prone hair).

Before the first dive, I squeezed out a big old handful of conditioner and hand gushed it into my dry hair. Then I put about a bazillion bands it in, you know, starting on top of my head and gathering hair and adding another band all the way down.

Worked like a charm! Usually I am not able to comb out my hair until I can cut the bands off, take a long shower at home and comb in the shower. But with this setup, when I took the bands off, voila, no tangles! I was able to comb out on the boat even without a shower! Conditioner smelled good all day too, I was getting all these compliments! :07:

Hair didn't seem salty after the dives either. Greasy, yes. Salty and brittle - no.

My hair dresser also suggested doing the same with olive oil, but that just seems a little icky to me. And it would get all over everything. :blink:

When I dived in Red Sea over the summer (THE place for nasty hair after diving- imagine all that salt *shrugs*) I invested in a hood, first of all. My hair was pretty long-ish, past my shoulders.
My routine pre-dive:
1. Put olive oil in hair (works a treat, i promise!!)
2. Hair in bun
3. Hood on
4. DIVE!

After dive, grab a BIG comb, some more olive oil and grease away! Once home jump into shower and 2x condition :)

Thanks! :D After my original post I went back to my Neutragena Deep Conditioning moisture stuff. I don't bother washing my hair between sucessive diving days and I just slather a lot of the conditioner on then rinse. If I do need to wash it I use the moisture shampoo as well. I may try the olive oil thing next summer, there is olive, almond and something else oil in my conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom