Unhappy with PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nathan837:
I am sure that the reason behind PADI ensuring all students have their own copy of the manuals is not solely profit driven, but to make sure divers (open water's especially) have a valuable resource on hand to refer back to once they have finished their course and not so they walk away from a course with just a C-Card (even if it takes a while to get it). Providing photo copy knowledge reviews to students so the manuals can be re-used is simply a cost cutting technique by LDS. I believe it reflects unprofessionally on PADI or any organisation and the instructor when a student is handed a tatty, dog-eared manual with a few photocopied sheets
Another reason is for legal protection which PADI is pretty good about for themselves and their instructors. If you handed in a photocopy and never had your own book and then were part of an incident at some point down the line, an even mediocre lawyer could make the point that "this person was certified without even having a manual".

durian:
I do not see a need to call this office from Korea. Why should I have to do that? I filled out the form and input all required information accurately.

Also, you state this to be an unrelated forum? I am curious what a related one would be? I must have missed it.

You are having an issue with an organization, and rather than dealing with them, you choose instead to go onto a NON-PADI related website, and complain.

Ever thought about attempting to contact PADI, like REAL contact? Not a real original idea, but I guess one that seems to be a non-consideration for many customers...

I generally contact the people I'm having an issue with before complaining to the world about poor customer service, as there are many things out of the control of any given business when using automated methods. By CONTACT I mean TALK to someone, if possible.

I am sure the moderators of this forum would have stepped in if I were doing something unethical or inappropriate for the forum. Anyway, I do understand your point. Yes, I was complaining, but I have also been curious to find how the other agencies are and if mine was an isolated incident, or if others have had the same experience. I have to use a cell phone and it is not at all convenient for me to step out to call their office in Australia, hoping someone is available to talk about this issue.

If I am wrong in posting this here and inquiring about an agency with a better customer service track record, then I invite the moderators to delete or stop this thread.

I think the main point here is, yes some agencies take a while to get your cards out and occasionally there is a muck up and it takes way too long like in durian's case. But in the end if you come away from a course with the skills you wanted to learn and feel better trained and more confident as a diver then thats what matters, not a delayed C-Card.

BigJetDriver69:
Mel,

I hope you have your card by now. IANTD was sold, and it's headquarters has moved to Ottawa, Canada.

Of course, right about that time, the staff also had to be at and set up for DEMA.

I met the new owner, and most of the staff at DEMA, and I believe that customer service will improve dramatically in the next few weeks. Check the IANTD website for contact information, and look for new functionality regarding c-card matters!

If you are still having problems, contact me via PM.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I have my PADI nitrox (did both at the same time - wanted to understand the different philosophies and methods), so I haven't had a problem getting fills and haven't pushed the issue. It's worth a phone call to see if I can get it sorted. I'll let you know what comes of it.

MEL

nathan837:
I think the main point here is, yes some agencies take a while to get your cards out and occasionally there is a muck up and it takes way too long like in durian's case. But in the end if you come away from a course with the skills you wanted to learn and feel better trained and more confident as a diver then thats what matters, not a delayed C-Card.

Yeah, but it depends on the card. Sometimes you need to show a particular card to do the diving you want to do or to get a fill (Nitrox, AOW, etc.), otherwise I agree.

Durian,
I also agree with you and your post. Understand the venting. It can be frustrating to need your card, fork over the cash, and then have to follow up with a call or email b/c things aren't getting to you in a timely manner. My experience has been that PADI has the best turn around times, but overseas it is a different story b/c cards aren't cut in every country. Based on where you are, I'd try following up w/ email first, rather than have to spend more of your money on the call.

Regards,
MEL

Thanks Mel, I have been in contct with PADI and they are trying to rectify the problem-they apparently sent it to the wrong address--I leave in 6 weeks for Thailand, so it should be here by then.

Make sure you instructor is sending in your paperwork right away. I get my cards in about 2 weeks.

That is really wierd, I get mine within days sometimes from the US office, weeks at the most if it goes to the LDS.

Back
Top Bottom