Why Diving & Not Tennis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
INTJ: Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.

INTP: Lord help me be less independent, but let me do it my way.

ENTP: Lord help me follow established procedures today. On second thought, I'll settle for a few minutes.

ENTJ: Lord, help me slow downandnotrushthroughwatIdo

Like others I am variable on the I/E and P or J. And somehow all of the above fit..

Alison

Tennis? No ... I was moderately good at that many years ago, but haven't picked up the old T3000 for many years now (I still keep it for some reason).

I took up diving at age 49, when I decided that playing basketball was becoming an exercise in futility ... I kept getting hurt by trying to keep up with guys half my age.

Cheng insisted I take up something else, and I'd always wanted to try scuba ... so I did. Now I'm making up for all those years I missed out on by not getting into it 20 years sooner.

BTW - one lousy side-effect was that once I quit playing hoops, I gained a LOT of weight ... scuba diving doesn't make me want to eat any less ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver0001:
Sports are meant to be played outdoors.
<snip>

Riding motorcycles (speaking from experience) is great fun too but is about as much a sport as sitting on a boat fishing or playing chess, which for some odd reason someone also labeled a sport.
Then try riding them off the pavement with about 19 others... it's far more exciting than playing chess and you will break a sweat.

Being on,in and around the water. The ability to get down where the fish are and to observe the way they live. Diving on wrecks to see the folly of man's arrogance. The buzz of nitrogen. The amazing sounds and sights. The zen of breath control.

You don't get these playing tennis

Being a Canadian, I look forward to playing hockey on the pond this winter, but this time I'll be on the other side of the ice! Underwater lacrosse is next!

I've fumbled with this since the question went up so here goes.

Adventure, Weightlessness, Discovery, Gear is cool, Total relaxation, especially at night, Making new firends, Doing something and seeing things most only dream of.

I'm not the athleticaly competitive type. In diving my only compretition is to be better than I was last time as a diver and buddy.

I was never any good at tennis and my wife would have no interest in being my tennis partner.

Pete

Yuck Jung!

Definately the "thinker, introvert". It's one the several sports (climbing, hiking) that doesn't bore the S$#@ out of me. It's soooo fricken cool!! Seeing a wreck 30 metres under water, in an environment where human beings normally can venture, way too cool! Apples and oranges, compared to tennis...hitting a ball over net?....GOOD LUCK!:D

TSandM:
I'm an INTJ and it really fits. The perfectionism in particular -- there's the appeal of the challenge of diving!

Another INTJ here, and the only other diver I know well enough in person to type is also INTJ.

Funny, this is one of the *last* places I ever expected to find myself in a type discussion...

Is it the A personality? I'm not so sure. I've survived a 3am house fire,totaled a Triumph 750 bonniville,a honda Nighthawk,and aYamaha 600 fazier,died @ 17 from drowning,fell from a 2 story building,bit by a copperhead snake,overcame cocaine in the 80's etc etc I guess the point is,I've taken it to the edge all of my life but when I thought diving was just going to be another notch I discovered the true zen of life! This is why I will continue to learn respect for the underwater world and will never forget just how small I am

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom