Your opinion on configuring a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
The way I see it is that Don is an active member and seems like a nice guy. A lot of people here know him, have dived with him and like him. Has anyone greeted more new members than Don? You can offer the information without the details of that particular incident.

It also serves to discourage people from ever posting an incident or at least wiping your cookies and posting as a new user. That's what I would do.

That's fine. I never said that he wasn't a nice guy or that people haven't enjoyed diving with him. As for greeting people, 4,000 smilies doesn't matter when Murphy comes calling.

As for summarizing that rather long thread, any attempt at summary might have resulted in claims that I did so inaccurately. Its better to read that actual thread than one participant's admittedly biased view.

With regard to posting as a sockpuppet, its not my issue if you do. However, I believe that the TOS prohibit it. Regardless, as I said above, and in the linked thread, I'm not trying to make fun of anyone. At the same time, I don't enjoy doing or reading about recovery dives. I'd rather come off as harsh than read another memorial thread.

My bit

I stage sling mine (ever since I lost a back mounted one when the mounting dislodged wriggling through an opening, then had a freeflow on primary) and bungee the 2nd stage to the neck of the tank.

I also have a 'spare' inflator hose on the pony 1st stage that fits my suit and wing. Just in case...

My back tank has two 2nd stages.

Simon L:
My bit

I stage sling mine (ever since I lost a back mounted one when the mounting dislodged wriggling through an opening, then had a freeflow on primary) and bungee the 2nd stage to the neck of the tank.

I also have a 'spare' inflator hose on the pony 1st stage that fits my suit and wing. Just in case...

My back tank has two 2nd stages.

Are you doing this on doubles or a single?

Jersey Diver:
Hi There!!! What's your opinion on how to set up a pony tank? I have a oms 119
(3442) and i also bought a pony bottle 30 cu. The pony will be at the shop on thursday or friday so i dont have it in my possesion just yet. I bought my equipment from two different shops and they both have something different to say one says they like to hang a tank and the other strap it to the main tank. This will be my first diving experience so i dont have exp doing either. Also when using a pony, do you have one reg on your main tank and one on the pony, or two on the main and one on the pony? Three regs seems like it might get in the way or be to much to handle, so what do you all think?

Stage tank style....So you can get at the valve knob and see the guage.

Ron

Well this is a hot topic,
MY WAY
1 AL 30, 6' hose, micro air gauge, cold water reg & second stage crack pressure re set hard! No LEAKS! long hose,quick release on second stage mounted in the triangle=I can see if it is leaking!
I dive my pony live! and upright! Never had it leak on a boat dive yet not once not never! =Crack pressure!
You screw with a pony unless you sling it, and the valves off-upside down,strapped to your tank your toast!
The key is dive live,re set crack pressure for no leaks on your second stage,and up right with reg in your face on your chest in the Triangle = to see if it is leaking!
Yes doubles are sweet but man this body just cant lug that steel any more! and sling a 30 is useless,bring a 80 down same thing you cant shoot photos with a sling hanging I have found as easy as a small pony to get you up top side just in case.
Brad

redhatmama:
I think Dandy Don has an interest in his buddy. He's got permanent notes written on his slate now asking his buddy not to disappear. I don't think you have any regard for him. I think he was insane to post his experience because it gets regurgitated in the guise of trying to help someone. I don't think the poster feels helped at all in the responses he's received so far - with the exception of Lamont's post.
I have to confess that I've used DandyDons incident link before in SB discussions... for me it was an eye opener as to what could happen, and it has caused me to change how I carry my pony. As you say I think Lamonts post pretty much sums it up.

Jerry

Originally Posted by redhatmama
I think Dandy Don has an interest in his buddy. He's got permanent notes written on his slate now asking his buddy not to disappear. I don't think you have any regard for him. I think he was insane to post his experience because it gets regurgitated in the guise of trying to help someone. I don't think the poster feels helped at all in the responses he's received so far - with the exception of Lamont's post

Actually...If I was thinking of adding a new piece of equipment, that I´d already bought and payed for, I don´t think any argument would have greater impact on how I decide to configure it than someone who´s actually tried it one way (obviously thinking it was the best) and the found out thru a tough reality check that it wasn´t.

I think that DD´s posting has helped a whole bunch of divers and deserves credit for posting his experience...I also think comments about ones choices and comments about ones person shouldn´t be confused. Mostly the comments in that thread are about the choices made. I´m sure DD is a very nice guy (that´s what it seems like from his posts anyway)

Side sling so the 1st can be reached and the whole thing could be cut off if necessary.

Then - I absolutely never wear it except for those DM moments when you have to go and tie off a float or something w/o a buddy. At the very least, it makes students think twice about diving solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom