Puerto Rico vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAdiver93

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to Puerto Rico in Feb/March. 3 couples - but only two divers (thank God my buddy is among us). Never heard anything about diving or hotels down there. Need suggestions (need - ALL inclusive (except for diving) within driving distanse to dive spots; kid friendly (forget other kids my little two-year old princess gotta be pampered :wink: And we just wanna dive!

Very open to suggestions. Thanx in advance! (We would be flying out from Philly/New York area if it helps, since some hotels have deals with airlines)

Do not go anywhere near Captain Greg Kworek.

His operation leaves a lot to be desired. We booked a 1 day combined snorkel and dive package complete with pickup and drop-off from the hotel in the San Juan Condado district.

This trip was supposed to leave from Fajardo on a catamaran with full entertainment, lunch and a two tank dive. Kworek called on Sunday to ask us to switch from Monday to Tuesday. We said we were flexible and allowed him to switch days.

When he did he performed a bait and switch. Instead of taking us to the catamaran in Fajardo he took us to San Juan harbor and a small boat.

The dive master and I were supposed to dive. Kworek has only two tanks on board. I placed my regulatorr and air-integrated dive computer on one tank. It had only 1600 PSI. I told Kworek and he blamed my dive computer instead of the old gauge he used. I switched to the second tank and it had only 2100 PSI. Keep in mind he had only two tanks for a two-tank dive for two people.

As for the entertainment we were supposed to watch each other drink on the way home. He would not give us even a partial refund. I complained to the place we booked the trip with and that person agreed to refund me the commision he made from selling the tickets ($30). He later wrote back to me and said he is no longer booking divers with captain Greg Kworek.

I also, heard other less than glowing reports about Captain Greg Kworek.

His company name is "Caribbean School of Aquatics" aka "Caribe School of Aquatics".
In either case, avoid him like the plague.

On the other, Oceans Unlimited was excellent. They sail out of the Cabo Rojo area on the west coast of Puerto Rico. They deliverd exactly what they said they and you could not ask for better service. Oceans Unlimited also has Nitrox available (32% & 36%) if you tell them in advance. They take you out ot Desecheo Island. They also have another trip which includes a night camping on Mona island.

PAdiver93:
Going to Puerto Rico in Feb/March. 3 couples - but only two divers (thank God my buddy is among us). Never heard anything about diving or hotels down there. Need suggestions (need - ALL inclusive (except for diving) within driving distanse to dive spots; kid friendly (forget other kids my little two-year old princess gotta be pampered :wink: And we just wanna dive!

Very open to suggestions. Thanx in advance! (We would be flying out from Philly/New York area if it helps, since some hotels have deals with airlines)

Thanx for the warning. But where did u stay, what did u dive?

I go to Puerto Rico 1-2 a year. Not always for diving..but my recommendation is not to dive near Fajardo. Try to go to Culebras much better diving there.

The most popular dive sites in Fajardo are Lobitos and something else. Everytime I go diving in Fajardo is the same dive site. (15 feet max depth). I dove it 4 times not because I wanted to... :)

Ok, here it is: Desecheo is by far the best in PR! Mona Island is better but hard to get to, especially this time of year, it is 40 miles out & is usually done as a multi-day trip in the Summer. Desecheo is 13 miles out & you can get there in about 40 minutes w/ Taino Divers out of Rincon. I worked for these guys for 3 years. The vis at Desecheo is usually over 100 ft about 300 days out of the year. From Jan to Mar you will also have a high chance of seeing Humpback & Pilot whales out to the island. The 2 best sites at the island are (Yellow Reef & Dos Pesones) can't always be dived, depends on the conditions but you have other good options at the island, ie. Candyland. The best place to stay in Rincon is Casa Islena, about $125 a night.

Also for Rincon you can fly into Aguadilla on the NW coast of PR, it is about a 30 min. drive to Rincon, the airport code is BQN. Direct flights from Newark to Aguadilla!

rockwaterx:
Ok, here it is: Desecheo is by far the best in PR! Mona Island is better but hard to get to, especially this time of year, it is 40 miles out & is usually done as a multi-day trip in the Summer. Desecheo is 13 miles out & you can get there in about 40 minutes w/ Taino Divers out of Rincon. I worked for these guys for 3 years. The vis at Desecheo is usually over 100 ft about 300 days out of the year. From Jan to Mar you will also have a high chance of seeing Humpback & Pilot whales out to the island. The 2 best sites at the island are (Yellow Reef & Dos Pesones) can't always be dived, depends on the conditions but you have other good options at the island, ie. Candyland. The best place to stay in Rincon is Casa Islena, about $125 a night.

Now thats what Im talkin about thanks again for the info really appreciate the post.

Specifics:
Fajardo is in the NE of the island. To get there is a 1-2 hours ride from San Juan (SJU). There is a 5* hotel near Fajardo, el Conquistador ($150 and up). There are other hotels in that area (150 and below).

Culebras
You can take the ferry from Fajardo or take a flight (30 minutes)from San Juan. More info below. Hotels Diving, etc.
http://www.islaculebra.com/index.htm
Beautiful and peaceful Island.

Rincon:
I heard a lot of good things about Rincon. But I never had a chance to go there for diving. Rincon is in the NW of the Island. about a 2 hours drive from San Juan. Last time I went there I also went to Arecibo to look at the observatory.

If it's your first time in Puerto Rico, get this book called "QUE PASA" there are coupons and things to do in the Island. Very useful book. Also I have heard the best diving in Puerto Rico is in the South Side of the Island.

Back
Top Bottom