Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phrixus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just been to Turks & Caicos & have lots of photo's of fish that I need to identify. Can anyone recommend any good fish ID books for the Caribbean.

I am a big fan of the Audubon field guides, which can be found at most any bookstore. There are several that deal with tropical fish. The pictures can't be beat.

Ditto on Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach's book. I also recommend you check out www.reef.org and sign up for one of their Field Fish Survey trips. We did our first one in Utila in July and it was honestly the best dive trip I've ever taken. Remember your music appreciation class from school? Well, this is a fish appreciation course. You have informal classes after each days' diving where you learn the names of the fish and how to find them and lots of other cool stuff about them. Can you tell the difference between a French Grunt and a Bluestriped Grunt? How big to Harlequin Bass get and where's the best place to find them? You'll find out on a REEF trip. Plus you get to participate in important volunteer field research and have fun diving at the same time. Its diving with a purpose. Hey, its all tax deductable, too! (I'm not a REEF employee, just an enthusiastic REEF supporter)

I agree with Nipi and CoyKoi. Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach's Reef Fish, Creature and Coral ID books are the best. Casey

I can second the recommendation for the REEF fish ID trips. We did one in July 2004 in Key Largo and it was fascinating. Paul Humann led the course and it was very informative.

sdwho

Back
Top Bottom