Ladies I need your help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I need a sneeky way ( and no one is better at sneeking than the women :)) to find out what size ring to get my GF. She is a light sleeper and wears no rings now.:06:

If she doesn't wear rings now and is a light sleeper it will probably be really difficult to get a measurement on the circumference of her finger.... but fingers are more or less round, and while she's snoozing you should be able to hold a ruler in front of her finger - try to estimate the width at the widest point (at the part of the finger where the ring will go). A jewler should be able to help you get the proper ring size if you can give him a diameter measurement.

I would estimate on the large side to be safe. She can always get it sized smaller afterwards, but it would be a bummer if when you give it to her the ring is too small to even get on her finger to see how it looks.

Good luck!

For an engagement I assume?

You don't have to pick the perfect ring...
-You can buy the diamond (or whatever gemstone you decide on) and they'll put it in a display box so she can pick a setting later.
-You can buy the diamond (or whatever) and they'll put it in a plain ring (of some rough estimate of her size), then they'll take the temporary setting back and give you a credit on a ring of her choice.

Otherwise, you're stuck with methods like trying to get a friend of her's to bring her to the mall and "happen" to go through the cheap rings and get her to try some on...

I got engaged last year, but my fiance let me pick everything out (no suprises, but I'm a control freak and enjoyed doing the research, picking out the diamond, and deciding on a setting) -Anyway, even though I picked it all out, sized my own finger, and ordered the setting -I still got it wrong and have to have it resized.

Resizing most rings is easy and fairly cheap. Perhaps you can ask coworkers with similar (looking) fingers what their size is to get a rough estimate?

Whatever you choose... Good luck!

Resizing most rings is easy and fairly cheap. Perhaps you can ask coworkers with similar (looking) fingers what their size is to get a rough estimate?"
I tried that and most of the guys wanted nothing to do with it and the one that did made me nervous! LOL ....I thought about the temp setting idea. I may go with that. I would think that it would be easer to size up rather than size down?

Resizing depends on the metal they're made of. Gold, silver, and platinum are easily resized both larger and smaller. Titanium (which is what mine's made of) is much more difficult to have resized and often has to be re-made. (But titanium can be had cheap, has good properties for a ring, like being light and hard to scratch, and has a cool geekiness factor.)

Gloves usually come in Small, Medium, and Large. ...not very helpful IMHO.

devolution365:
Titanium (which is what mine's made of) ...

Titanium, way cool. I remember when it came out for jewelry back in the 80's...All different colors....It's come a long way

Gloves usually come in Small, Medium, and Large. ...not very helpful IMHO

Often shops will offer the same setting in different sizes. Using the gloves would just be to ballpark the size for the first purchase and then get the ring resized after she says yes. This will still allow you to return it if you are way off in size. Depending on the setting of the stone there isn't much room for resizing. If the metal is forced too much in one way it could ruin the setting and the optics of the ring.

Bottom line, go to a local jewelry store. Believe me every married man has had the same questions you have and they (the jewelry stores) have answers 'cause they wanna sell you the shiny stuff.

If you're buying online they're just as flexible -just email or call.

Very romantic!!! Just do what my husband did, surprised me with a trip to Cozumel- proposed the first night, took me into the diamond store and let me pick out my own ring (with a lot of his advice, which I am very thankful) and we took it home on my finger. (Don't forget to declare it so you can pay taxes on it, LOL) Everyone thought we got ripped off, but when the thing was appraised it was worth twice as much (make sure it's certified though)!!!! Be careful in those jewelry stores though, they will serve you alcohol and I think my husband meant to get me a much smaller ring.

jaymi:
Very romantic!!! Just do what my husband did, surprised me with a trip to Cozumel- proposed the first night, took me into the diamond store and let me pick out my own ring (with a lot of his advice, which I am very thankful) and we took it home on my finger. (Don't forget to declare it so you can pay taxes on it, LOL) Everyone thought we got ripped off, but when the thing was appraised it was worth twice as much (make sure it's certified though)!!!! Be careful in those jewelry stores though, they will serve you alcohol and I think my husband meant to get me a much smaller ring.
Do you have a name for this store????"""":wink:
I got her a Ti dive knife so I guess that would do....Somehow I just know she is a real yellow gold with a big arse rock kinda girl. For her first go around, she bought the rings, for mine, the first fight she sold hers then wanted another....Maybe I'll just get her a tattoo?:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom