Best blunt tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RossT:
Hello All,

I plan on doing dives where I will need a digging/prying type tool and was wondering what the best knife would be? I don't really know much about the different knifes. I know a lot about regular knives, just not diving knives. Please let me know what is the best blunt tip knife out there -- perhaps 2 options, 1 = best best, 2 = best value... ?

Thank you!
Ross
I use an Akona Sidekick blunt tip. It's a good knife at a good price.

http://www.akona.com/pdf/Page_044.pdf

RossT:
Hello All,

I plan on doing dives where I will need a digging/prying type tool and was wondering what the best knife would be? I don't really know much about the different knifes. I know a lot about regular knives, just not diving knives. Please let me know what is the best blunt tip knife out there -- perhaps 2 options, 1 = best best, 2 = best value... ?

Thank you!
Ross

Home Depot nail puller cats paw 9inch with sharp edges ground down them painted to help keep rust down. LOL $9.00

jtu:
Home Depot nail puller cats paw 9inch with sharp edges ground down them painted to help keep rust down. LOL $9.00
My thougth exactly...right tool for the right job.

If you really want to be doing heavy prying work, get the tool designed for that, a small crowbar...

Of course, you should have a nice utility knife as well. I like just a small one. If any hard, specialized work needs to be done, get the tool for that purpose...

Prying will first destroy the aesthetics of a knife, and soon after the functionality could suffer, especially with softer alloys...

jiveturkey:
I use an Akona Sidekick blunt tip. It's a good knife at a good price.

http://www.akona.com/pdf/Page_044.pdf

Nice. I like blunt-tipped knives that don't have the line cutter right next to the hilt. Just makes sense to me...

I have an old Wenoka with a similar blade style. Bright pink, but it was cheap and high-vis.

Not that I would recommend it as a scuba knife, unless you have $$$ to burn and really need the toughest knife out there, but the Strider BD is the knife you are describing if you want the best blunt tip knife out there, IMO. All Strider knives are hell for stout and if you break one they will replace it. Of course at $450 a pop, you'll probably cry if you lose it. On the other hand, if you are doing dives where you will basically be working with the knife in hand the entire dive this might not be a big issue and the toughness will be worth it.

Mick Strider originally designed the knife as a commercial dive knife.

Another positive is that if you wear this knife you can weight yourself 1 lb. less! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom