Do I need to pay PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, they are prepaid, got it. My instructor signed off on them and gave them to my to fill my part out and mail them in.

"I'm a little confused...how could you do continued training without having the pre-req courses? That's slack on the dive centre's part - a copy of all pre-req certs should have been put in your student record file when you signed up for the course. You shouldn't have been able to sign up without producing them in the first place!"

Becouse I did everything after OW from the same instructor. He signed me off so I guess somehow he knew I had taken the class.

I was thinking I had to send more money in ( you know how PADI is). Thanks for the info.

How is it that your profile says "instructor" and you don't know how it works? Are you an instructor with a different agency?

Confused.

bundy:
What does PADI stand for.....Put Another Dollar In. Plan on paying for everything.

Whilst I understand people holding this opinion, it is hardly relevant to this thread. We have already established that PADI PICS are prepaid for.

Save the agency bashing narrowmindedness for another thread, or better yet, get over it!

RonFrank:
This thread is almost a year old... :11:

Thanks, it was the post above me that resurrected this old thread, and I was remiss in not checking.
All is now a whole lot clearer.

Xman - I'm not even certified through PADI. all my training was down through NAUI and TDI. I'm just going off of what other people have said about PADI. I have read some of there materials and they seem okay. The problem I have with them is that you have to get a specality card for everything. Why don't the other agencies have that, can you say "money maker"? I know it was not relevent to the thread but if you read the headline "Do I have to pay PADI?" I just couldn't help it. But I will say this, I will never recommend PADI to anyone I know or anyone who asks me about getting certified. Take care

bundy:
Xman - I'm not even certified through PADI. all my training was down through NAUI and TDI. I'm just going off of what other people have said about PADI. I have read some of there materials and they seem okay. The problem I have with them is that you have to get a specality card for everything. Why don't the other agencies have that, can you say "money maker"? I know it was not relevent to the thread but if you read the headline "Do I have to pay PADI?" I just couldn't help it. But I will say this, I will never recommend PADI to anyone I know or anyone who asks me about getting certified. Take care

I haven't seen anything where you "have" to get a specialty card from PADI for everything or anything other then by personnel choice. The only Certification that requires specialty courses would be MSD. Now I have a question to ask you, if you were going to go to a NAUI instructor and look into any of the following specialty classes http://www.naui.com/specialty_divers.php would you expect not to pay money to the Instructor and into NAUI for certification fees (or in most cases as with PADI Specialty courses the PIC/Certification Fees are included in the cost of the course, at least at the shops I've seen)? Since I doubt their free. Replacement Cards after the fact through mailed submission are the exact same cost ($30). I've know people who just have open water certifications through both PADI and NAUI and been diving a whole lot longer then I have, and haven't taken any Con.Ed. YMCA SCUBA and SDI (The Rec partner of TDI) also have extensive specialty programs, that I'm sure that the agency also receive a fee from each certification issued to go back into improving programs and other costs. However I don't know personally since I've only experienced the PADI side of the coin (other than having a TDI Nitrox Certification)

bundy:
I'm not even certified through PADI. all my training was down through NAUI and TDI.
Since your NAUI and TDI AOW and Nitrox classes were apparently FREE, how about sharing where you got them so we can all benefit from the FREE certs.

bundy:
I'm just going off of what other people have said about PADI.
So you're just spreading rumors and gossip? How is that helpful?

bundy:
I have read some of there materials and they seem okay.
I'm so glad you approve. So, if they are okay, why would you refuse to recommend them as you state further down in your post?

bundy:
The problem I have with them is that you have to get a specality card for everything. Why don't the other agencies have that, can you say "money maker"?
Nobody "HAS" to do anything. And again, how about sharing the FREE source you have from others? .... "money maker" Yes, I can say that.

bundy:
I know it was not relevent to the thread but if you read the headline "Do I have to pay PADI?" I just couldn't help it.
So, you just like to stir the waters till they're all silted out?

bundy:
But I will say this, I will never recommend PADI to anyone I know or anyone who asks me about getting certified.
And just what justification do you have for that? The simple fact that they charge a fee for their certifications like everyone else?

I generally try to avoid these petty, harpoon throwing examples of "my dad's bigger than your dad posts. But, this one caught me at the wrong moment. So, I apologize ahead of time.

Give me a break...

Back
Top Bottom