Cave wanna be question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze:
No entanglement issue (at least no more than any other fin), just VERY inefficient when it comes to frog, backward kicks......
........ I am sure that you can go backwards, do a frog kick etc in split fins....but as said before... it is very inefficient compared to a stiff fin. When you have the chance to use both, try it...

Bobby F:
It has been scientifically proven that the vortex from split fins will suck any and all line into them and trap the diver for a long sure death. They must not be used in any type of technical situation for this reason.

Bobby
And line is EVIL.....especially when it hugs you or just floats around looking for a place to rest....

Meng_Tze:
And line is EVIL.....

yes it is... and it possesses your reel, making it break down within nanoseconds
of deployment, and all the line is streaming out everwhere, getting tangled on
stalagtites and/or stalagmites, your fins, your buddie's fins, and what not

not that i would...you know... have any first-hand experience with this or nothing

rockjock3:
I say that I fin easier than most that I dive with because I move as fast or faster by only doing a kick and then coasting then kicking again and coasting, while they are all constantly finning. Maybe I didn't use the right terminology in my first post.

Okay, but is everyone doing the same kick? And what kick is everyone doing? I've used both splits and full fins with various kicks. Yes, splits are more efficient when doing a flutter kick in no current water. Splits make finning easier and make you go faster. However, modify the kick and add current and the efficiency is lost. Borrow someone's full fins sometime, use them for a few dives with different kicks, then come back and post your thoughts on the differences. I'll bet you do feel a difference. :14:

H2Andy:
yes it is... and it possesses your reel, making it break down within nanoseconds
of deployment, and all the line is streaming out everwhere, getting tangled on
stalagtites and/or stalagmites, your fins, your buddie's fins, and what not

not that i would...you know... have any first-hand experience with this or nothing

Don't forget the current that's pushing that line everywhere but where you want it to go...back on the reel...

Oh it wants to go back on your reel.........really it does! I likes to imitate a birds nest!!
:07:

Have to agree with everyone.

You can’t compare your swimming with buddies. Apples and oranges. You need to compare your own swimming to using splits vs. non.

I have both Scuba Pro splits, and jets. Although after JeffG’s post, I may reconsider whether I ever use the splits again. eyebrow Splits are good for relaxed non-current diving, and they are more efficient (propulsion vs. effort). in that environment. They also reduce the likeliness to cramp for smaller people with smaller leg muscles.

Like other posts, I have also had the “Devil Line” :D reach out and grab my splits inside a wreck, in low visibility. It was very tight in the area, and by the time I was untangled it was 0 visibility. I don’t use them anymore.

I also, get tired a lot less now in high current swims, considering my twins and my size usually creating a lot of drag. The Jets are definitely better for propulsion in that environment.

-S :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom