new Georgia Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to the Aquariume about a week ago now. I hope to do volunteer work there one day. I am not old enough to volunteer yet :sad_2:. Well I thought the aquarium was pretty cool. I want to go back again when there aren't so many people there. Other than it being very crowded, it was pretty fun.

See you all around then!

Sparrowhawk

The volunteer process is a bit lengthy, but bearable. (I should be starting soon in a non-diving position). The requirements of DM or Instructor was, to the best of my knowledge, started because the powers that be at the aquarium seam to not want the liability. I was told that at first they didn't want a volunteer dive program, but later the guy in charge of diving basically said that it would be prohibitively expensive to have only staff divers clean all the tanks. For those reading that have not been to the aquarium, there is an emphasis on large tanks, which reduces the ability to clean them while staying dry. Also the big open ocean tank has sky lights, which causes algae to grow more rapidly than in the typical large aquarium with artificial lighting. In comparison the Tennessee Aquarium, where the guy in charge of diving worked before, there were something like 130 volunteer divers (don't quote me I don't recall the number exactly.) and the GA Aquarium is much lager, so there should be a considerable program as they get rolling. BTW, most of the diving is surface supplied air.

For those who haven't attended, a word of caution... I had a hard time visiting, because of many days afterwards all I wanted to do was go diving... to stand under the tunnel and have a huge school of fish swim overhead made me want to go diving so bad...

diver85:
Ha I am very involved in the Atlanta dive industry, to dive the aquirium you must be an instructor or dm, and pay $500 to volunteer and go on the cleaning schedule to dive and clean the glass/rocks they originally wanted the divers to also volunteer a 100 hours in a non diving manner, handing out brochures etc.

Based on other aquiriums in the country, they will be not charging a damn thing, and be happy to get volunteers who show up on schedule, and are willing to put in 16 hours a MONTH.

Let's face it, your are NOT diving, you are CLEANING. After a few dives cleaning up the tanks, the novelty will wear off.

In Denver, they want OW certification with 25 dives, and a 16 hour a month commitiment. That's similar to the Baltimore requirment if memory serves.

I was asked to help with the Tenn Aquarium as a volunteer diver. Their requirements were pretty crazy for trying to get people to help for free. You had to start out with a 2 day per month committment to be done during the work week, so you would have to take 2 days per month or 24 days per year vacation from work. Who gets that much vacation?

They also wanted your social security number and drivers license number and agreement for permission for a background check and/or credit check plus several other things. We all said 'screw that' and threw our paperwork in the trash

mike_s:
I was asked to help with the Tenn Aquarium as a volunteer diver. Their requirements were pretty crazy for trying to get people to help for free. You had to start out with a 2 day per month committment to be done during the work week, so you would have to take 2 days per month or 24 days per year vacation from work. Who gets that much vacation?

They also wanted your social security number and drivers license number and agreement for permission for a background check and/or credit check plus several other things. We all said 'screw that' and threw our paperwork in the trash

First You have to be recommended by a staff or aquarium diver
Then a 100 question written test
Then a 10 station dive and swim skills test
Plus you need first aid
Plus you need CPR
Plus you need O2 Provider
Plus you need a dive physical

You pay for all of those pluses by the way.

That's the price you pay for civic duty though, you get to dive, scrub glass, feed fish, and talk to guests through a two way comm. All that and I'm still doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom