Clarify: At what point does a hog rig stop being a hog rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogeywoogey:
Clarification please??

Hog rigs are simple.but what point does a hog rig stop being a hog rig....???

In my view, a true hog rig is a waste of time.

If you need to pop a YELLOW flag with your blown deco gas instructions.....a hog rig does not accomm..OR DOES IT???

Comments welcome

boogey

You're confusing protocol with configuration.

Or are you just trolling?

R..

LVX:
Yeah, but your icon is a little meancing to say the least....

But, but ... his kitty doesn't have a gun!

Diver0001:
You're confusing protocol with configuration.

Or are you just trolling?

R..

^
|

The voice of reason?

:)

WHAT IS A HOG RIG????

I WANT TO KNOW.....as I it seems everyone else seems to know.

I have a single threaded webbing with 2 x large SISMB pouch (red for SMB and yellow for EMERG GAS) , pouch for spare mask, crotchstrap, net scissors at 2 locations, reel (70m on deco) (40m on single tank dives). On deco I always carry red SMB for marking, and yellow with gas instructions in case of emergency on deco.

Is that a HOG rig or a cobbled rig...for me its BASIC stuff....I just want to know if its HOG or not...HELP HELP...not that I care....I only care in understanding the definition of the TRUE TRUE HOG RIG.....swoon

Hogarth, William: English painter and engraver. He was one of the leading British artists of the first half of the 18th century. He was trained as an engraver and by 1720 had established his own business printing billheads, book illustrations and funeral tickets. In his spare time he learnt to paint, firstly at St. Martin's Lane Academy and then under Sir James Thornhill, whose daughter he married in 1729. He made a name for himself with small family groups (e.g. The Wollaston Family, 1730, H.C. Wollaston's Trustees) and conversation pieces (e.g. The Beggar's Opera, one of several versions, c1729, London, Tate Gallery). Around this time he also set himself up as a portrait painter. Shortly afterwards, in c1731, he executed his first series of modern morality paintings, a totally new concept intended for wider dissemination through engraving. A Harlot's Progress (six scenes, destroyed by fire) was followed by A Rake's Progress (c1735, eight scenes, London, Sir John Soane's Museum) and Marriage a la Mode (c1743, six scenes, London, National Gallery). So popular were the engravings of the first series that they were soon pirated, and Hogarth's subsequent campaign against the pirates led to the Copyright Act of 1735. Unfortunately, as well as the engravings sold, he always had difficulty selling the original paintings. Hogarth compared his sequential paintings to theatrical performances, and thus in each series, minor vices and social affectations are incidentally satirized as the main theme - the punishment of a major vice - takes centre stage.

boogey

boogeywoogey:
WHAT IS A HOG RIG????

I WANT TO KNOW.....as I it seems everyone else seems to know.
[...]
Is that a HOG rig or a cobbled rig...for me its BASIC stuff....I just want to know if its HOG or not...HELP HELP...not that I care....I only care in understanding the definition of the TRUE TRUE HOG RIG.....swoon
[...]

1. There comes a point at which "amusing eccentricity" becomes "disturbing indications of lunacy"; you're pushing the line.

2. Dude. Try decaf.

(This sub-forum exists in some part because of the desire of some folks to discuss backplate-based, simplicity-focused gear configurations that might vary somewhat from the rigid strictures of the DIR/GUE/WKPP canons and were therefore frowned upon in the DIR sub-forum.

In other words, there is no specific "TRUE TRUE HOG RIG" -- the term is used here to mean a gear configuration that generally conforms to the contemporary understanding of the principles espoused by William Hogarth Main. These principles, as I understand them, generally state:
- simplify and minimize
- take backups for what you need, and nothing that you don't
- strive to continually improve your gear configuration, usually via simplification.

Characteristic signs are:
- the long hose primary
- the bungeed backup
- the backplate
- streamlined

Further reading can be found in this and other forums; clarifications nad alternative interpretations are welcome.)

3. Really. Decaf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom