DSS wing - not a donut - discuss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do a singles only plate, which I think is a great idea, have a look at the jetharness plate, which is flat. I have one, and it's great, EXCEPT it puts the tank really really close to your head. It has four slots for each cam band, two on each side, which means the band goes through the plate, then across the plate on the wing side, then through and out. (confusing description?) Anyhow, this is how the wing attaches, maybe like a transpac; no grommets or bolts needed.

What I did was cut a piece of the rubber decking you see a lot around boats or pools; the stuff is pretty dense, usually it's got holes, and has basically neutral buoyancy I think. Anyhow, I cut a strip of this stuff a couple of inches wide and about the length of my plate and slipped it under the cam bands. So when I tighten the bands the tank is resting on the rubber, not on the plate itself. (actually the part of the band that goes across the plate) This brought the tank 1/2" back off my head and also compresses a little under the tank, which really holds the bands tight and keeps everything really stable. If you design a singles plate, I'd consider something sort of along those lines. You'll have to find the spot for the tank to keep it in nice and tight, but avoiding the head banging.

Sunds like a fun project and a good market, as BP/W use with single tanks is definitely getting more popular.

mattboy:
If you do a singles only plate, which I think is a great idea, have a look at the jetharness plate[...]

See, I was going to say something similar: take a look at the Black Arts plate, which is very not-flat, but rather a "W", creating STA-like stability without an STA.

mattboy:
If you do a singles only plate, which I think is a great idea, have a look at the jetharness plate, which is flat. QUOTE]

I've seen them before, but the design I have in mind is not close to that plate or any other plates. I actually have two completely different ideas for the plate. Just need to build one of each and do some testing.

Wish I could tell more, but I have to keep some secrets.

Safe diving,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945
Ph: 772.466.4612
Fax: 772.293.9657
web: http://oxycheq.com

A few questions...
Does the Mach V require an STA?
Also can anyone tell me anything about the #32 propac?
Is it a wing/harness combo or just a new wing?
Where are Oxycheq’s wings being produced?

I don’t mean to stir the pot but I am in the market for a new singles wing and am interested. I think both Patrick and Tobin make great products. Thanks!

kgdiver:
Does the Mach V require an STA? Also can anyone tell me anything about the #32 propac? Is it a wing/harness combo or just a new wing? Where are Oxycheq’s wings being produced? I don’t mean to stir the pot but I am in the market for a singles wing and am interested. I think both Patrick and Tobin make exceptional products. Thanks!

The Mach V does require a STA.

The ProPac is really a BC. It has a 32# lift 360 loop back mounted wing, two adjustable quick connect/disconnetcs, soft back pad, two chest d-rings, two waist d-rings, a d-ring on the crotch strap and two cam straps. The ProPac lists for $400. It was designed for the diver that does not want to put a system together and just wants to drop the tank in the holes (cam straps) and dive. The ProPac is also available in a smaller size and it has 25 pounds of lift.

Thanks for your interest in OxyCheq products.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

kgdiver:
A few questions...
Does the Mach V require an STA?
Also can anyone tell me anything about the #32 propac?
Is it a wing/harness combo or just a new wing?
Where are Oxycheq’s wings being produced?

I don’t mean to stir the pot but I am in the market for a new singles wing and am interested. I think both Patrick and Tobin make great products. Thanks!

The wings and materials are made in the US, but some sub assembly is done in Mexico. However, the sub assembly does vary with the product as well as production schedules.

Best regards,

Patrick

I have the DSS single setup with a #40 wing and the Hog Harness.
Until the last few weeks I had only tried it in the pool.

My trip to Kona just ended and I must say I love this DSS setup. I was so comfortable in the water and the tank was stable. Trim, after a few adjustments, was incredible. It took a few dives to get the weight adjusted and I was still slightly over weighted with two #2 on the lower tank straps in x-pockets. I could get by with no weight if I weren't wearing the x-shorts and I may try some 1/2 lb ankle weights because my booties make my feet float up at shallower depths.

As for the back inflation pushing me face first. I call BullPoop!
It’s just not a problem. There were a few shore dives where I was in a decent surf and at no time did I feel uncomfortable or have any problems with relaxing on the surface. In fact, I would fill up the wing and lay back. I could have taken a nap.

We did a Manta Dive with Jacks Dive Locker and it was fun watching the reactions to the wing. You would think I was a Rock Star or something. The DM’s joked about the “Scooter with the Manly Rig” and the divers were intrigued and asked a lot of questions. It was great because it gave me a chance to get to know everyone rather well.

I did several shore dives and carrying the unit on my back was so much easier than my old BC that it was a joke. I just through it on and walked across the lava or beach without any problems. My wife on the other hand was fighting the BC. The tank on a proper BC is just not as stable on your back. PERIOD!

As for wishing I had donut vs. a horseshoe, I can’t say I wished one way or the other. Once I had more air in one side, or so I thought, so I raised my shoulders a bit and evened out the air. I think it was more in my head than anything because I never needed to do that again. I think the Horseshoe design is just fine for me.

All in all this is the best equipment investment I have made to date.
As far as the built in plastic STA not working, that’s a fallacy.
It works great and the tank is rock solid.

Patrick,

Thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate the fact I can ask you direct questions on boards such as this. I can see how passionate you are about your products. Thanks again
kgdiver

Back
Top Bottom