Fundies -- my bottom line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, it has been MY experience that our local LDS's instructors do NOT charge for every dive. They only charge when you are taking a class from them (and I don't think that is off base).

Also, just to let everyone know, Bob was riding MY horse and I'm quite sure he WAS laughing at you after your "emergency dismount." You should just be glad he didn't then do what he has been known to do which is, after assisting the rider to the ground, step on the rider in triumph!

Peter Guy:
Bob, it has been MY experience that our local LDS's instructors do NOT charge for every dive. They only charge when you are taking a class from them (and I don't think that is off base).

Also, just to let everyone know, Bob was riding MY horse and I'm quite sure he WAS laughing at you after your "emergency dismount." You should just be glad he didn't then do what he has been known to do which is, after assisting the rider to the ground, step on the rider in triumph!

Yikes!! I wouldn't want to get "posed on" like a trophy.

I had an experience once riding a horse bareback with no bridle when it stopped and put it's head down simultaneously. After doing a very ungraceful dismount over the front, I was too disoriented trying to piece together what had just happened to me to notice if the horse was laughing or not. My situational awareness is much better these days, so if it happened again I might be able to recall if the horse snickers or not! :D

Peter Guy:
Actually, he was kind enough to not dump me in a part of the arena that had been recently "baptized" either ... :11: ... I was pretty happy about that ...

The good thing was that after I picked myself up, Lynne was able to tell me why it happened, and what I needed to do to keep it from happening again (a lot like what happens when you screw up in DIR-F).

I must say, though, that there's a huge difference between riding a spirited, highly-trained gelding in English tack as opposed to the dude horses in western tack that I had been previously exposed to. It's a lot more difficult ... and requires more finesse. Kind've like the difference between diving steel doubles vs. an AL80 on a rental BCD.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, he was kind enough to not dump me in a part of the arena that had been recently "baptized" either ... :11: ... I was pretty happy about that ...

The good thing was that after I picked myself up, Lynne was able to tell me why it happened, and what I needed to do to keep it from happening again (a lot like what happens when you screw up in DIR-F).

I must say, though, that there's a huge difference between riding a spirited, highly-trained gelding in English tack as opposed to the dude horses in western tack that I had been previously exposed to. It's a lot more difficult ... and requires more finesse. Kind've like the difference between diving steel doubles vs. an AL80 on a rental BCD.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great analogies!!

First off: This thread reminds me why I do not ride horses (only mountain and motorbikes :wink: )

Second, I'm very curious to see what people have to say about the new format of DIR-F, especially if someone posts up that has seen both versions. I'm not close to taking fundies yet, one due to location (there are not local instuctors in Vancouver) and two as I think I'll need more experience diving. However, I'm very much looking forward to taking it in the future and hope that the new style with the extra day will allow more time to get the skills down.

Bjorn

I'll tell you, there were times during OW when I thought horses were entirely tractable compared with tanks . . .

jeckyll:
First off: This thread reminds me why I do not ride horses (only mountain and motorbikes :wink: )

I've had "get-offs" on both types of bikes where I'd swear the bike was laughing at me, or maybe it was just my buddies....

Tobin

Tobin: To completely hijack this thread, most of the time "get off's" are just not doable. Plus usually the bike(s) get plenty 'hurt' and aren't in any mood to laugh.

Though there was that time when I used spd's for the very first time where I found myself on the pavement because I clipped out the wrong foot :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:

(This probably couldn't be more of a hijack, but...)

There seems a pretty good correspondence between the folks connecting task-focused vs. diving-focused, and the instructor who once told me that English was about the art of riding, where Western was about accomplishing work from horseback.

Except I would think the task-focus I appear to communicate that I have would be associated with Western, work-related riding? I've never been a Western person.

In medicine, the ability to focus despite peripheral distractions is incredibly useful.

In diving, the tendency to focus to the point where you ignore peripheral distractions is dangerous.

Somehow, I need to learn how to switch between the two modes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom