Which brand of steel cylinder / tank should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Large,

Not everyone has the needed intellegence to become a "technical diver", and they should stay in the back yard pool. I don't agree with your reasoning on why the use of a pony is suitable (earlier or recent posts). I really think that it promotes unsafe diving practices.

Brad

Brad,

So given my description above of my diving practices, why will a pony lead to unsafe practices? I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I am interested in your reasoning.

Aegir,

"Are there any special conciderations as to a pony bottle (steel or Al)? "

I repeat...... read my response.

Brad

Large,

I think that you know the answer to this question.
You did say that using doubles would be safer.

I guess it comes down to what level of risk you are willing to accept. These are some questions I would ask (in the Socratic tradition).
Do you have kids? Do you want to be there for them? Is your life worth a few dollars and some additional training or do you have the resolve to dive within more reasonable limits?

Brad

Are you serious, you are going beyond a joke.

Whether i dive dry or wether i dive wet (i feel like a parrot) is of no consiquence as to whether i use a steel pony or an Aluminium pony. The weight i will be carrying AS A WHOLE (ditchable or otherwise) will determine WHAT MATERIAL i decide upon.

Is it really that difficult to explain (in your answer)that when you are diving dry that you shouldnt concider an Al (for example).? Granted..if i was diving wet then it would be advisable to avoid steel due to decreased buoyancy when (IF) handing it off. But this isnt a hard thing to mention when you give your opinion and 99% of people explain this anyway. This is besides the point since if you had READ my posts Brad you would see that the ONLY plave i would use a pony is on my BACK>

Atomox I also see from your response to my "mathematical Eqn for BCD Lift" thread that you gave a useful answer to my question. It was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard and i take it that it was ment as sarcasm or for a joke? Either way it wasnt helpful.

I want more specific reasoning -- not just "we all know it's so" or "you said it so you know deep down it's true".

Also, using hyperbole like, "if you love your kids, you MUST change you config or diving habits or you're going to die" is painful. I'm looking for constructive ideas and opinions, not BS.

Aegir,

I didn't realize that you were such a simpleton. Apparently you need a road map.

As I said before wether you are diving dry or wet, what type of tanks are being used and what type of backplate DOES MATTER. If you have a Steel pony or SS backplate on then there is that 6 pounds of weight that you will not have on your weight belt. Will this leave you with enough weight to ditch if needed? To have a balanced rig, you may well need to have included at least 20 pounds of ditchable weight, assuming you can swim up with a negative 10 pounds buoyancy. And with a steel pony or SS backplate adding non-ditchable weight, this is not too easy. It's an awful lot easier with an aluminum tank or backplate so the six pounds can be replaced with ditchable weight. Otherwise you're whole rig simply gets heavier. This same logic can be applied to all equipment as well.

P.S.
If you need 42 pounds of lift you will need to displace an appropriate amount of water. In this case about 2/3 of a cubic foot (since 1 cubic foot of water is 61.4 pounds). Get an appropriate sized wing.

Brad Brad Brad...you have just repeated what i said above... All this was covered earlier in the post, but thankyou for your contribution.

Also..i have no idea what you are talking about with the water displacement thing. I was pertaining to a ratio of weight to BCD lift. Mass/volume and weight have no place in the answer im looking for really. I was really looking for a way to work out how much lift i would need from a wing, if for example i had a said weight in mind. You miss my point never mind. Yup im a simpleton with a PhD in Molecular biology.

Aegir,

If you truly know what you are talking about then how much lift does the kit require in the water? The weight of the gear minus the displacement of the water by the gear. In other words the specific gravity of the gear.

You need a wing that will displace an equivalent or greater amount of water.

It was a test which you failed.
Get a wing with >=40 pounds of lift.

It is apparent that what you write, and what you think you wrote are not the same. You certainly need to go back and read and comprehend what was transcribed.

Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom